MTGMTB

Censorship, SJW Bullshit, Reddit, MTGHQ, and WoTC

17 posts in this topic

Hello, ladies and gents, welcome to my post! Tonight, I will be talking about why Reddit is shit.

I joined the MTG community in 2014, right as Khans was coming out. I've been playing since then, and now, I'm skipping Kaladesh.

Recently, WoTC blacklisted their second biggest YouTuber, MTGHeadquarters because of some stupid tweets, at the beck and call of Reddit. Yes, Reddit. This isn't the first time they've done this either.

Most of you know about Zach Jesse and Travis Woo, so I won't dwell on them too much besides the fact that they were yelled at by Reddit. Afterwards, they were banned and blacklisted, while WoTC would go on to have Chris Kluwe, former kicker (correct me if I'm wrong) for the Vikings who is worse than MTGHQ, Travis, and Zach combined. I have no problem with those 3, but Chris Kluwe. This guy has pretty much said he knew about a rape and never reported it, has called people awful things, and is overall just a douche. Where is Reddit on this? Oh. Silent, since they pretty much agree with him.

So, I went to post about my leaving MTG on Reddit, give a voice to the people who don't agree. After around 2 or 3 hours, the mods deleted my post. A couple hours later, they banned me for not agreeing. I was shocked. I had heard of people being banned for not agreeing, but it had actually happened.

I want free speech for all, even if I don't agree. But SJWs want to take that away. Don't let them.

MTGMTB

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

Mo' money, mo' problems.

As a subsidiary of a large, publicly traded company, Wizards has to act in whatever way the bosses and/or legal team perceive as having the greatest net positive (or smallest negative if things are really bad) effect on their public image and, ultimately, on sales.

None of the parties involved in the MTGHQ saga are without fault and I'm no fan of the SJWs either but, to massively oversimplify, Wizards are kind of forced into coming down on the side of the majorty on any particular issue

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

I never was too big a fan of MTGHQ, but I support his right to express himself as he sees fit.  Just because I may or may not agree with him doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion.  

Political correctness is running rampant and especially on Twitter and Reddit it escalates into hate mobs quickly.  I can see why WoTC distanced themselves, but the way they went about it on reddit was awful.  Why alienate one of your biggest YouTubers and potentially his subscribers/supporters?  It could have been handled professionally but they really fumbled that one.

There does seem to be a bit of a clique going with Wizards and certain prominent people in the MTG community

rainman likes this

16 minutes ago, Abaddon said:

Not a fan of Reddit.  Having a debate and respecting other peoples opinions - even when you disagree us a lost art

It's the sad truth. My parents taught me well. But Reddit. Naw. 

8 hours ago, rainman said:

Mo' money, mo' problems.

As a subsidiary of a large, publicly traded company, Wizards has to act in whatever way the bosses and/or legal team perceive as having the greatest net positive (or smallest negative if things are really bad) effect on their public image and, ultimately, on sales.

None of the parties involved in the MTGHQ saga are without fault and I'm no fan of the SJWs either but, to massively oversimplify, Wizards are kind of forced into coming down on the side of the majorty on any particular issue

It's the unfortunate truth. 

Here's my thoughts on the situation:

Free speech only applies to the Government in the US. It does not apply to private companies such as WoTC, Reddit, and Twitter. 

MTGHQ lacks tact and he will be the first one to admit it. He's too headstrong and gets very heated when he feels he is being wronged and for that I understand perfectly why WoTC wants to distance themselves from him. I do not agree how WoTC handled the situation and I think TrickJarret should be reprimanded for that. It was completely uncalled for and unprofessional.

Now as for any SJW conspiracy and how it's ruining the game. I have definitely noticed a trend with WoTC trying to baby their audience. A good example was at a GP or Pro Tour, someone had a deck named Bugs and Thugs and people thought it offensive and WoTC immediately apologized about it. Giving attention to it just causes the problem to be magnified even more. The Zach Jesse thing still disgusts me and that was handled completely wrong. He did his time and had become a reformed citizen in the eyes of the government. Yes it is well within WoTC's right to ban him but to even ban his MTGO account? That's just wrong.

So what can we do? It's definitely a cultural shift that's happening. The vocal minority has WoTC's ear. It's easy to say to vote with your wallet but that won't happen. As soon as you have a different opinion your lambasted as a terrible terrible person. I'm not sure there is an easy answer for that. 

Abaddon and JesGolbez like this

1 hour ago, MTGZuby said:

Free speech only applies to the Government in the US. It does not apply to private companies such as WoTC, Reddit, and Twitter. 

MTGHQ lacks tact and he will be the first one to admit it. He's too headstrong and gets very heated when he feels he is being wronged and for that I understand perfectly why WoTC wants to distance themselves from him. I do not agree how WoTC handled the situation and I think TrickJarret should be reprimanded for that. It was completely uncalled for and unprofessional.

Now as for any SJW conspiracy and how it's ruining the game. I have definitely noticed a trend with WoTC trying to baby their audience. A good example was at a GP or Pro Tour, someone had a deck named Bugs and Thugs and people thought it offensive and WoTC immediately apologized about it. Giving attention to it just causes the problem to be magnified even more. The Zach Jesse thing still disgusts me and that was handled completely wrong. He did his time and had become a reformed citizen in the eyes of the government. Yes it is well within WoTC's right to ban him but to even ban his MTGO account? That's just wrong.

So what can we do? It's definitely a cultural shift that's happening. The vocal minority has WoTC's ear. It's easy to say to vote with your wallet but that won't happen. As soon as you have a different opinion your lambasted as a terrible terrible person. I'm not sure there is an easy answer for that. 

There unfortunately isn't. The best we can do is boycott and hope they'll change there mind. 

Also, about the Reddit free speech thing. Reddit SAYS they're a place for free speech, but look at me. I know, they're a private company, but when they say that they encourage free speech, then turn around and ban me, it's still wrong. 

4 hours ago, BlutEntropy said:

I don't know who any of those scrubs are except for HQ and thats only because he's part of one of my social networks.

Zach Jesse was a reformed sex offender who was called out by one of the announcers as "a literal rapist" when he was in the top 8 of a GP I believe. He is banned from MTGO and DCI play until 2049. 

Travis Woo worked for ChannelFireball and was supposed to be in Enter The Battlefield. He was picking apart Hitler's argument in Mein Kampf on stream and was called "a literal Nazi" by Reddit. He lost his job with CFB and was taken out of ETB. Shows you how WoTC hasn't only done this with HQ. 

4 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Agree with you.  The vocal minority is running the show and gets 95% of the mentions on DailyMTG

MTGZuby likes this

6 hours ago, Abaddon said:

Agree with you.  The vocal minority is running the show and gets 95% of the mentions on DailyMTG

You do see a lot of the same people over and over again be mentioned on there. There are a lot of MTG content creators but only a select few ever get mentioned.

Lasraik likes this

1 hour ago, MTGZuby said:

You do see a lot of the same people over and over again be mentioned on there. There are a lot of MTG content creators but only a select few ever get mentioned.

The Community Cup (or whatever they call it, can't remember off hand) is always the same people year after year.  They should encourage different content creators to be more involved and give them some pub.  It only helps them sell product.  I hate to go full tin foil hat, but it does seem like people who share views get more attention than others

Random thoughts

1. I am very much anti-SJW, and not at all fond of any corporation, especially WOTC, caving to the SJW brigade. It is never enough with these people, and they only have power if you give it to them.

2. MTG wrote interesting black characters before, and didn't need any 'diversity consultants'. Teferi is one of the best characters of all time. 

3. That said, MTGHeadquarters is an immature asshole. I wouldn't want him representing my brand, either. This isn't about freedom of speech, it's about consequences of your actions. WOTC is a private corporation, as is Channel Fireball (who used to employ Woo). They are freely entitled to hire/fire who they want. 

4. I am not fond of how cozy MTG is with a very select few podcasters and content creators. WOTC has always been very loyal to a small cadre of people, and now it seems that Tolarian Community College, Loading Ready Run, and Magic: Amateuring, are getting way too much love. There are many other content creators that deserve some spotlight, preview cards, etc... WOTC claims they hire a PR department to hand out promos and such. which is baffling to me. Why doesn't WOTC do their own PR? 

5. WOTC letting Chris Kluwe and Wil Wheaton, two noted assholes, be faces of their brand is a bit disturbing. 

6. Fortunately, the game, itself, is doing fine on its own. One could easily ignore the drama and just enjoy themselves. 

A game as large as MTG will always have its share of drama, but the VAST majority of players never see or care for it. As long as the integrity and enjoyment of the game, itself, remain high, then I won't worry. 

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

I agree @JesGolbez the majority of players don't really care about the drama.  Keep reminding myself of that fact when this stuff comes up.  

4 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Random thoughts

1. I am very much anti-SJW, and not at all fond of any corporation, especially WOTC, caving to the SJW brigade. It is never enough with these people, and they only have power if you give it to them.

2. MTG wrote interesting black characters before, and didn't need any 'diversity consultants'. Teferi is one of the best characters of all time. 

3. That said, MTGHeadquarters is an immature asshole. I wouldn't want him representing my brand, either. This isn't about freedom of speech, it's about consequences of your actions. WOTC is a private corporation, as is Channel Fireball (who used to employ Woo). They are freely entitled to hire/fire who they want. 

4. I am not fond of how cozy MTG is with a very select few podcasters and content creators. WOTC has always been very loyal to a small cadre of people, and now it seems that Tolarian Community College, Loading Ready Run, and Magic: Amateuring, are getting way too much love. There are many other content creators that deserve some spotlight, preview cards, etc... WOTC claims they hire a PR department to hand out promos and such. which is baffling to me. Why doesn't WOTC do their own PR? 

5. WOTC letting Chris Kluwe and Wil Wheaton, two noted assholes, be faces of their brand is a bit disturbing. 

6. Fortunately, the game, itself, is doing fine on its own. One could easily ignore the drama and just enjoy themselves. 

A game as large as MTG will always have its share of drama, but the VAST majority of players never see or care for it. As long as the integrity and enjoyment of the game, itself, remain high, then I won't worry. 

I don't think he's immature, or an asshole, but opinions. What I was trying to highlight (besides the fact that Reddit went after all these people with no good evidence) was the censorship of Reddit and how they banned me from doing anything in the Magic subreddit because I disagreed.