Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

Scalding Tarn Alternatives

25 posts in this topic

Building a Modern/Legacy RB Eldrazi deck.  The idea is to have a deck that I can swap cards in and out to make legal for Modern and Legacy.  I have a lot of the cards but the land base is shockingly going to take a while for me to get.

I need 4 Scalding Tarns, but don't want to wait too long to start playing this deck.   In the meantime, what are some other alternatives to Scalding Tarn?  

Steam Vents or more Shivan Reefs?

New UR fastland?

In the Eldrazi deck, Shivan Reef is overall better than Steam Vents (and Spirebluff Canal too, I guess) since it produces colourless mana. If it's fetches you're missing, the advantage of Steam Vents having basic land types is lost, making the fastland a decent option (and a bit cheaper to get too)

Lasraik likes this

If Scalding Tarn is just used to fetch the Steam Vents then just use Polluted Delta or Bloodstained Mire. I have no scalding Tarns in my grixis delver list and really don't need them.

Lasraik likes this

Thanks guys.  Will need to get a little creative with this land base.  Now have to find an alternative to Cavern of Souls, too :mellow:

I'm a little surprised there are 4 Scalding Tarns in this deck, but I haven't played it either so I'm sure it's the noob in me.

18 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Thanks guys.  Will need to get a little creative with this land base.  Now have to find an alternative to Cavern of Souls, too :mellow:

I'm a little surprised there are 4 Scalding Tarns in this deck, but I haven't played it either so I'm sure it's the noob in me.

Reflecting Pool? Unless I've read it wrong, it should produce colourless mana if you have any other lands in play that do (I'm thinking back to Tempest card text that uses the phrase "type of mana" rather than "colour of mana"). Won't make your creatures uncounterable, but I don't think there are any really budget lands that do that

OK, I did a minimal amount of research and all printings of Reflecting use that "type of mana" phrasing, which must mean they intended for it to be able to make colourless too, right?

Ancient Ziggurat would be another option, but can't make colourless

Lasraik likes this

From gatherer: "The types of mana are white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless."

Reflecting pool can work if you have other sources to copy.

rainman likes this

9 hours ago, BlutEntropy said:

Well with eye banned it's going to be hard to find replacements for those.

Be using Eye for the Legacy setup I'll have.  

This is the Modern setup:

breldrazidecklist.png

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Be using Eye for the Legacy setup I'll have.  

This is the Modern setup:

breldrazidecklist.png

That set up still has eye in it. Pretty sure thats an oldschool one since the side deck is wrong for this meta.

Besides the legacy setup uses City of Traitors, Ancient tomb and Wasteland.

It's a legacy deck, if you aren't running 4x wasteland you're doing legacy wrong.

rainman likes this

Yeah sorry attached the wrong picture.  What land changes would you suggest? 

So, from that modern list we need to take out 4 eyes, 4 tarns and replace with some not too expensive alternatives? And the 3 caverns too? Tricky

And yeah, if you're playing a deck in Legacy that could play Wasteland and not playing Wasteland, you are Legacying incorrectly. A colourless aggro deck like Eldrazi has no reason at all (outside of financial considerations) not to run it

I know a pro player put this deck together and I'm a filthy casual so I'm probably way off here but does 4 Scalding Tarns seem like overkill when the deck runs only two Islands? 

rainman likes this

25 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

I know a pro player put this deck together and I'm a filthy casual so I'm probably way off here but does 4 Scalding Tarns seem like overkill when the deck runs only two Islands? 

And 2 steam vents

With no cards relying on loading up the graveyard and not a huge number of coloured mana symbols, red or blue, you could probably get away with replacign them with any of the UR duals we've tlaked about here or even just a couple of basics for each colour. Blood moon is a thing after all.

Lasraik and Abaddon like this

Polluted delta is your best bet.

The reason why it has no basic mountains is because of one simple thing and thats Blood moon.

For legacy you can't replace the caverns since everyone and their mothers use force of will and even remand. Same with Modern, preventing a counterspell is big.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:27 AM, BlutEntropy said:

Polluted delta is your best bet.

The reason why it has no basic mountains is because of one simple thing and thats Blood moon.

For legacy you can't replace the caverns since everyone and their mothers use force of will and even remand. Same with Modern, preventing a counterspell is big.

Which land base would you suggest?

9 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Which land base would you suggest?

Same base but you can't get rid of the cavern sadly. it causes too many wins in modern and legacy.

Lasraik likes this

On 10/2/2016 at 11:31 AM, BlutEntropy said:

Same base but you can't get rid of the cavern sadly. it causes too many wins in modern and legacy.

Was afraid you'd say that :wacko:

41 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Was afraid you'd say that :wacko:

Yeah, you can't play tribal in legacy without it.

This is coming from experience.

Modern isn't AS bad but remand fucks your day a lot.

Lasraik likes this

You can get away without Caverns if you're playing at the casual level, but definitely save up for them. They have saved my butt many times in my modern elves list.

Lasraik likes this

35 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

You can get away without Caverns if you're playing at the casual level, but definitely save up for them. They have saved my butt many times in my modern elves list.

Don't say the C word. You'll make them bad players if you make it sound like being a casual isn't a bad thing.

1 hour ago, BlutEntropy said:

Don't say the C word. You'll make them bad players if you make it sound like being a casual isn't a bad thing.

Too late