Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Android tablet to control PC recommendations

9 posts in this topic

I want to control my PC using my Galaxy tablet.

Lot of times, I am upstairs hanging out with the family upstairs and sometimes, they watch things that really don't interest me.

I fiddle with my tablet, but I'm ready to move on from reading, Sudoku and Solitaire.

Enter Civilization.  That is the perfect game for this situation.  However, there is nothing from android.  But, if I could play it on my PC and control my PC via tablet ... then we have something.

So ... what free/modestly priced apps would be good for this?

Or is there something I am not thinking of?

The first thing that comes to mind is TeamViewer.  Not sure if you would be able to play games like this, but I used to do database merges and other projects remotely for work a few years ago on wifi this way and it was reliable.  So in the same house near your home router and a few years later the technology might be up to par for this.

Dunnar likes this

Just get a surface pro and load the games directly tot he tablet.  I play all kinds of PC games on my tablet.  Civilizations, LOTRO, Galciv, and many more.

I did more testing last night.  Its a finicky piece of software.  When it works, its great.  However, getting it to work may take several attempts.  My screen doesn't always refresh.

Its a 50-50 proposition on if it will click on the borders.  Annoying, but I can get around that.

I tried to do Remote Desktop, only to find out its not included in the Windows 10 Home version.

I was just going to reply that latency and refresh rate may not make teamviewer the best experience, but you seem to have gotten there first. It's just not designed for that type of use. I've used teamviewer pretty much every day, both from work to my server at home and from my lounge to my server. It works fine for browsing torrents and the web, but I wouldn't want to do any more than that. I've tried a few films, just to check they work, and I'm getting about 1fps or slower typically.

Whilst I appreciate that FPS isn't all that important for some games, I'm not convinced even an RTS would be that great.

My first thought was the same as Jag. Just get a PC tablet. I have a 128Gb i7 Surface Pro 2 at work. I would have no qualms running an RTS of that. The lack of a premium graphics chip would make me nervous about trying FO4 though...

Lastly, in terms of delivering gaming to another room, something like Steam Powered hardware, which requires a separate screen, or the NVidia Shield tablet, which doesn't. I can't recommend either having never used them.

Lasraik likes this