Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What series are you currently watching.

164 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

I'm about to go through Season 5 of Star Trek the Next Generation. That's it for the moment. Dad doesn't let me watch a lot. If we watch movies we have to do a written review of them.

We both grew up on TNG!  Although Voyager had the best music. :)

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-watching The Sopranos for the first time in about 10 years.  It's not as good as I remember it.  Lots of filler episodes.  Plot lines that go nowhere or are just completely forgotten about.

Still a good series that has it's moments, but looking back on it now I see more flaws.  Maybe because now we have so many good TV series available to watch I'm more critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Still a good series that has it's moments, but looking back on it now I see more flaws.  Maybe because now we have so many good TV series available to watch I'm more critical.

Some serious take a little while to warm up. Even Seinfeld wasn't that good out of the gate. 

I started watching LOTR again. I know its not a TV series,  but its still a 18+ hour commitment.

Edited by Dunnar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2017 at 7:43 AM, Dunnar said:

Some serious take a little while to warm up. Even Seinfeld wasn't that good out of the gate. 

I started watching LOTR again. I know its not a TV series,  but its still a 18+ hour commitment.

Even into it's last few seasons, there's a ton of filler.  The dream sequences could have been a few minutes here and there instead of entire episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orange is the New Black Season 6

The first few seasons were pretty solid, but the last two have been pretty lackluster.  I didn't care for the season 5 cliffhanger, and season 6 was a little too on the nose with some of the social issues.  Too many characters and now that Chapman isn't the main character it isn't as interesting to me.  My wife and I found ourselves falling asleep during a few of the episodes and not caring if we missed anything.  

Grade 2/5 

 

House of Cards Season 5

Another series that has been progressively worse each season.  I get the feeling the writers have backed themselves into a corner.  The characters have done some really outrageous stuff and now they don't know what to do next.

Grade 2/5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had several friends recommend Shamless.  I am halfway through the first season.  Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally go round to watching The Expanse, and I must say, going by the first season, I have to give it a 9/10 if not a 9.5/10.  It's like someone has made the perfect sci-fi custom-made just for me to fap over.  I fap mightily for this.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished watching the series finale of Orphan Black.  

Something I've noticed with a lot of popular TV series now is the writers have a great idea and create a universe around it but have trouble finishing the story.  The first couple of seasons were good, but the last two seasons were a slog.  Usually after an end date is announced for a series, each episode has a purpose.  The story moves along and you get the feeling the end is coming because everything is getting tied up.  But with Orphan Black it wasn't until the last 20 minutes of the finale that you got the impression they were putting the finishing touches on the story lines.

What impressed me most about this series is Tatiana Maslany.  Can't deny her talent in being able to carry so many different characters herself and you felt as though they were really different people, not the same person playing different roles.  I thought all this time she had a British accent because she's so convincing.  

If not for my wife wanting to watch the last couple of seasons I would have probably given up and just watched the last couple episodes.  Lots of writers are great creating a story and bad finishing them.

MTGZuby likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watching Criminal Minds. Usually not into crime dramas but this show just has an interesting cast of characters and its easy to watch and have on as background noise as well.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a few seasons a while back.  It was good, but it got too dark for my taste.  It just starts to get depressing as they branch out into child crimes and some other really morbid stuff.  I am all for gratuitous violence, but the content of that show makes me uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolphard said:

From the start? I love it, but it can indeed be very dark.Haven't seen the new season yet, not sure I'd like it without Thomas Gibson. AFAIC he was the star of the show.

I have seen both spin-offs too, not a fan of either.

Yes from the start. Only on like episode 5 or 6 of Season 1. What spin offs did they do?

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Finished watching the series finale of Orphan Black.  

Something I've noticed with a lot of popular TV series now is the writers have a great idea and create a universe around it but have trouble finishing the story.  The first couple of seasons were good, but the last two seasons were a slog.  Usually after an end date is announced for a series, each episode has a purpose.  The story moves along and you get the feeling the end is coming because everything is getting tied up.  But with Orphan Black it wasn't until the last 20 minutes of the finale that you got the impression they were putting the finishing touches on the story lines.

What impressed me most about this series is Tatiana Maslany.  Can't deny her talent in being able to carry so many different characters herself and you felt as though they were really different people, not the same person playing different roles.  I thought all this time she had a British accent because she's so convincing.  

If not for my wife wanting to watch the last couple of seasons I would have probably given up and just watched the last couple episodes.  Lots of writers are great creating a story and bad finishing them.

It is the Lost effect: keep throwing new questions and strange things into a show to keep the audience guessing, without actually having a destination in mind.  They did it with the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, first two seasons were so good then it just nosedived as they just kept adding more and more bollocks without ever tying up anything in a satsifactory manner.  The fact that a Young Adult author like JK Rowling actually had the ending worked out before she started the book series should go to show just what a useless hack JJ Abrahms is, I have no idea why he still keeps getting work.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several people mentioned Sneaky Pete. So i'm 7 episodes into season 1 and really enjoying it. Complex set up which cannot easily be explained here. Giovanni Ribisi carries it in the lead role. Awesome actor, who has passed me by until now. I'll watch out for him just based on his performance in this series.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozark (Netflix)

Quote

A Chicago-based financial advisor secretly relocates his family to the Missouri Ozarks when his dealings with a drug cartel go awry.

I always get nervous when I hear people compare a new series to 'Breaking Bad'.  It sets the bar too high and it's just a little silly anyway because we look at BB now as a story that began and finished and had time to reflect on it.  While it's not bad, Ozark isn't on the same level.  Not yet anyway.  BB spent lots of time setting up characters and relationships, Ozark throws you into the fire right away.  Maybe a little too fast without building some sympathy and connecting to the characters.

Ozark lacks the nuance that BB and other great series have.  The cast does a pretty solid job all the way around, and Jason Bateman especially shines.  There were a few plot turns I didn't see coming but most of it is by the numbers and what you'd expect in a series like this.  Overall it's worth a watch if this genre appeals to you.

Grade: C+

SPOILERS

Spoiler

 

My biggest gripe is with the pacing and episode placement.  Episode 8 was a flashback episode that should have been the first episode.  Giving a back story to all the characters made the deaths in the first episode more meaningful, but when you watch episode one without context it didn't have much impact.  Even Jason Batemans character didn't feel all that broken up about Bruce and his business partners/friends getting shot in the face and placed in barrels right in front of him.  I get that they wanted the situation to seem as though he didn't have time to reflect and was too busy saving his own ass, but at least take a moment to soak in what just happened.  

Not sure I'm a big fan of where season 2 is going, either.  Having Del shot and killed the way he was was a surprise, but you have to imagine someone is going to be asking why a drug kingpin just vanished.  

 

 

Jag and Pasanda like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mindhunters

In short, the beginnings of the FBI in their understanding of Serial Killers. They didn't even have that phrase. It's really hard to say why it's as good as it is. But it is. Great pace i think.

64%

Oh, and Anna Torv is in it. Surely worth watching for that alone no?

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik and Abaddon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 3:05 PM, Pasanda said:

Mindhunters

In short, the beginnings of the FBI in their understanding of Serial Killers. They didn't even have that phrase. It's really hard to say why it's as good as it is. But it is. Great pace i think.

64%

Oh, and Anna Torv is in it. Surely worth watching for that alone no?

Started Mindhunters after I gave up on The Punisher, I love it. It's a great series and Anna Torv :wub:

On 11/21/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jag said:

I liked Ozarks as well.  I started the Punisher on netflix.  Looking forward to it.

The wife and I got about 6 episodes in and gave up.  We slogged through Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones but I almost feel like all that time was wasted.  The Punisher really missed the mark, so far at least.  Episodes go by with nothing really happening and everything is so drawn out.  I'll keep watching an episode every couple of weeks instead of one after another.

In the 6 episodes we watched it could have been condensed to 3.  The Marvel shows should be 8 episodes instead of 12+.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jag said:

I am not as critical about my entertainment as you guys.  I actually liked the Punisher.

Still trying. On about Ep 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is crazy that Blood sport just recently came up.  There is a new series on Amazon Prime titled Jean-Claude Van Johnson.  I have only watched the pilot, but so far it is bloody brilliant.  Jean-Claud plays himself, it turns out he was an international spy while he was doing movies.  He retired some time ago and is taking missions to get himself back in the game.  The thing I love is that the show takes itself lightly and riffs hard on all the 80's/90's stereotypes present in JCVD's movies.  The show owns everything we make fun of now.  So far I think it is very well done and I am hyped to watch the rest.  It triggers to much nostalgia in me for me to know if it is actually quality.  I already know I am going to enjoy it based on the pilot.

Trailer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B01J77QIQQ/ref=atv_hm_hom_3_c_ptorig_brws_4_1?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3462876102&pf_rd_r=MF64YARVPNPQSPYKKSQ7&pf_rd_s=center-8&pf_rd_t=12401

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished all 6 episodes.  I loved it, but it certainly isn't anything top notch.  Every episode had a scene or two that got me laughing.  If you aren't a bloodsport or timecaop fan, then you won't miss anything as you need to know the famous parts of those movies to get a lot of the references.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 0:51 PM, Jag said:

I finished all 6 episodes.  I loved it, but it certainly isn't anything top notch.  Every episode had a scene or two that got me laughing.  If you aren't a bloodsport or timecaop fan, then you won't miss anything as you need to know the famous parts of those movies to get a lot of the references.

Hard not to be a fan of Time Cop when Mia Sara is in it  :wub:

I'm a few episodes into The Expanse... it's OK.  I hope it picks up a little in the second half of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Star Trek The Next Generation again for like the 5th or 6th time. You always discover new things about it too. I actually wanted Dr. Pulaski to stay on the show for one. She is a flawed character and actually has some growth throughout season 2. Wesley also becomes a lot more bearable past Season 1. Right now almost done with Season 3.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 6:00 AM, MTGZuby said:

Watching Star Trek The Next Generation again for like the 5th or 6th time. You always discover new things about it too. I actually wanted Dr. Pulaski to stay on the show for one. She is a flawed character and actually has some growth throughout season 2. Wesley also becomes a lot more bearable past Season 1. Right now almost done with Season 3.

 

I hated Pulaski as a kid, but I could now appreciate her... she was an outsider, and she wasn't putting up with the nonsense that others would... was refreshing to have that perspective. They really neutered Crusher in the movies, and Gates McFadden was rightly frustrated

Wesley never becomes bearable... and the way they finished his character...ugh... not to mention Wil Wheaton is a dickish dweeb in real life and has a punchable face :P

I'd love to go through the series again some time, but can't find it cheaply available. Maybe @Aurian can check if our library has it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0