Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What series are you currently watching.

147 posts in this topic

Caught up on some History Channel stuff this weekend:

The Cars that Made America

A look back on the history of the history of the men, cars, and the companies they founded in America.  How they started, grew and how they changed the country.  Focused on the men who developed and engineered the cars. (Ford, Chrysler, Durant, etc)  Not just the early days, but it goes into the modern times too with men like Iacocca and Delorean.

The Men Who Built America: Frontiersmen

A look back on the explorers that lead the Westward expansion within America.  It also focuses on various Indian leaders and their efforts to stop that expansion. (Jackson, Lewis+Clark, Tecumseh, etc)  This one is still going on.  Think the final episode is Wed.  Its really hard to fathom what went on back then and the obstacles that were faced.  The Indian story is just horrific. 

Both are mini series built like the original, The Men Who Built America.  Its a historical documentary that focuses on the people and events that had a major impact on the nation.  Its a cross between a documentary and almost a movie ... where actors play the various characters and they reenact major events as they progress through time.

Travelers http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/?ref_=nv_sr_1

One of those 'people from the future come to our time to stop an apocalyptic event that hasn't happened yet'. They take over the bodies of those about to die and can never go back. So rely on direction from new Travelers, who are aware of how events have affected the future. Far less interesting than it sounds. Partly becuase it's all delivered with a deliberate sense of mystery, and it's taken me 7 episode to learn most of that. Not terrible really, but not much has happened over that 7. I suspect there'll be some sort of huge cliffhanger where they spend 80% of the seasons budget showing us the future that they come from, or something like that. Not sure it will be enough for a season 2.

To quote Elovia... YMMV

Boag and Elovia like this

Me and my dad found a good series from @Wolphard's side of the world (it's close, shut up) called Occupied. The Prime Minister of Norway shuts off production of oil and gas cause climate change and Norway gets white-glove invaded by Russia in order to stop that. 

While it's completely illogical for it to happen, the idea is interesting. Originally, my dad and I thought it was fear-mongering for climate change, but we've agreed that it's just an idea. But it's a good show. 

18 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

Me and my dad found a good series from @Wolphard's side of the world (it's close, shut up) called Occupied. The Prime Minister of Norway shuts off production of oil and gas cause climate change and Norway gets white-glove invaded by Russia in order to stop that. 

While it's completely illogical for it to happen, the idea is interesting. Originally, my dad and I thought it was fear-mongering for climate change, but we've agreed that it's just an idea. But it's a good show. 

Is that a bit like saying I found this Peruvian series from over your part of the world?

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 (Netflix)

I'm not a big Drew Barrymore fan, so I went into season 1 with low expectations and a begrudgingly if I'm going to be honest.  My wife wanted to give it a watch so I watched it with her.  Season 1 had it's ups and downs, the humor in it didn't catch with me right away but by the middle or so of the season I was enjoying it.  

Season 2 was much better, lots of laughs and definitely something I'd recommend for those looking for some lighthearted (horror) comedy.

Grade: B

Westworld

I kept hearing how great Westworld was, and it wasn't bad but damn it was drawn out.  Lots of these shows can eliminate 2-3 episodes and get the same amount of story told without so much extra that doesn't really matter.  Towards the end of the season there were some twists but not sure if the 9+ hours leading up to those were worth it.  

Enjoyed the ideas they played with and some of the storylines were interesting but not something I would watch again.

Grade: C-

Lost

Rewatching Lost, almost halfway into season 4.  Seasons 1 and 2 were just as I remembered them and very enjoyable.  But I forgot how off the rails the series went, especially into season 4.  What the hell happened?  

Just started Lost in Space. Not  a terrible start, and i can watch it with Fin (so far anyway). Waaay too early to judge though.

Jessica Jones. S02. Again, one episode in, so too early to tell. I have heard it's not as good as S01.

Designated Survivor S02 - quite enjoyed s01, but have just realised that the whole show has absolutely nothing to do with it primary premise, which was about the only person surviving the presidential office. Now it's just a show about a president. Still, it's a very easy watch, and a bit of a guilty pleasure.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Lasraik said:

Westworld

I kept hearing how great Westworld was, and it wasn't bad but damn it was drawn out.  Lots of these shows can eliminate 2-3 episodes and get the same amount of story told without so much extra that doesn't really matter.  Towards the end of the season there were some twists but not sure if the 9+ hours leading up to those were worth it.  

Enjoyed the ideas they played with and some of the storylines were interesting but not something I would watch again.

Grade: C-

I agree.  Kept hearing about how good it was and meh.  It was like watching a comedian and waiting on a punch line that never came.  Just kept going on and on.

Lasraik likes this

Posted (edited)

Some story lines are really interesting, like realizing who the man in black was, and figuring out what was and wasn't a flashback.  Theory crafting was what made it fun for me.  These days toss some nudity and gratuitous violence and you got yourself a smash hit show.  It doesn't take much.

For some reason I have been watching hells kitchen.  I think mostly because Gordon Ramsey gets to do and say whatever he feels and everyone just takes it.  I am envious.

Edited by Jag
Lasraik likes this

On 4/16/2018 at 9:23 AM, Jag said:

Some story lines are really interesting, like realizing who the man in black was, and figuring out what was and wasn't a flashback.  Theory crafting was what made it fun for me.  These days toss some nudity and gratuitous violence and you got yourself a smash hit show.  It doesn't take much.

For some reason I have been watching hells kitchen.  I think mostly because Gordon Ramsey gets to do and say whatever he feels and everyone just takes it.  I am envious.

Which season of Hell's Kitchen?

Cobra Kai (YouTube Red)

I didn't expect much from this series, but damn it's entertaining.  Before I watched it we re-watched the original 'Karate Kid' and I'm glad we did.  Cobra Kai is cheesy and has lots of nostalgic moments but it's self aware and knows it's goofy.  Definitely worth a watch

Colony 7/10

Binge watched up to seasonn 3, ep 4 in the past week. Excellent sci-fi drama, following a family through alien occupation. It draws a number of parallels to nazi occupation, resistance, holocaust and concentration camps. Ironically, because some of the lead baddies are jewish, and i suspect this is deliberate.

The key is that it's well made. PErhaps not quite HBO quality. But not far off. Also it was cancelled at the end of S03, so i'm preparing for not getting any closure. Unfortunately.

Stranger Things

Season 1 9/10

Season 2 TBD

Been hearing of this series from people before, but suspected it to be overhyped amidst other stuff. Then my niece spoke about it and made me rather interested, so decided to watch an episode or two on Saturday. Finished season 1 that night. Season 2 I have yet to finish but that was due to having things to do on Sunday.

Season 1 I rated, it feels like a complete experience, it kept me hooked all the through and had a coherent and consistent storyline. Winona Ryder needs to downplay her acting sometimes but other than that the whole thing felt well thought out and played. Unanswered questions at the end felt like either deliberate plot hooks for the future or to keep an air of mystery about things.

Season 2 I have not rated as I have not yet finished, and so can't judge whether it will be as coherent and consistence all the way through as the first or if it will end with a letdown. Winona seems better in this one but the kid should have been the one to get eaten.

Pasanda likes this

Gonna give season 2 an 8/10. I am not fussed that it didn't do anything new, it built on what the first one did which is what I wanted. I am deducting for not feeling so wrapped together so to speak, the first season felt like a coherent whole whereas this one felt like it was wandering in places. The bit with Eight I felt was either unnecessary or should have been built on more, maybe have linked Billy and Maxine or something (I thought they were up to something at first, and when it became apparent they weren't already involved with the research facility they kinda felt superfluous). 

16 hours ago, Jag said:

The sheer idiocy of the fat kid made me just stop watching season 2.  I just wasn't interested anymore.

His actions afterwards were really quite despicable too, if we were meant to despise him then they succeeded but I don't think that was the intention. It was a bit too upsetting and close to home for me and kinda put a dampener on the series, but maybe I am just overly sensitive.

Posted (edited)

On 20/08/2018 at 1:57 PM, Pasanda said:

Colony 7/10

Binge watched up to seasonn 3, ep 4 in the past week. Excellent sci-fi drama, following a family through alien occupation. It draws a number of parallels to nazi occupation, resistance, holocaust and concentration camps. Ironically, because some of the lead baddies are jewish, and i suspect this is deliberate.

The key is that it's well made. PErhaps not quite HBO quality. But not far off. Also it was cancelled at the end of S03, so i'm preparing for not getting any closure. Unfortunately.

So I finished S03, which is the end of the show, as it wasn't picked up. So we didn't get any satisfying ending, but we did get to see the aliens. Seeing the direction it was going, i would have preferred them to tidy up and conclude in S03 anyway - you could start to see the edges fraying and a few repeated popular tropes with some of the characters. 

Still, i would recommend it - it does make a good binge.

Next? Finishing off S02 of Goliath, which i wasn't enjoying as much as S01. I still have The Magicians to watch out. I've given up on Travellers i think.

Edited by Pasanda

I'm really bummed the Joel McHale Show on Netflix got cancelled.  It was one of my favorites.  

Speaking of Netflix, I'm old enough to remember when 'Orange Is The New Black' was good.  It was never great, but it had it's time of being pretty good.  Season 6 is a chore to watch.  Don't see myself finishing this season.