Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What series are you currently watching.

164 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, MTGMTB said:

Me and my dad found a good series from @Wolphard's side of the world (it's close, shut up) called Occupied. The Prime Minister of Norway shuts off production of oil and gas cause climate change and Norway gets white-glove invaded by Russia in order to stop that. 

While it's completely illogical for it to happen, the idea is interesting. Originally, my dad and I thought it was fear-mongering for climate change, but we've agreed that it's just an idea. But it's a good show. 

Is that a bit like saying I found this Peruvian series from over your part of the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 (Netflix)

I'm not a big Drew Barrymore fan, so I went into season 1 with low expectations and a begrudgingly if I'm going to be honest.  My wife wanted to give it a watch so I watched it with her.  Season 1 had it's ups and downs, the humor in it didn't catch with me right away but by the middle or so of the season I was enjoying it.  

Season 2 was much better, lots of laughs and definitely something I'd recommend for those looking for some lighthearted (horror) comedy.

Grade: B

 

Westworld

I kept hearing how great Westworld was, and it wasn't bad but damn it was drawn out.  Lots of these shows can eliminate 2-3 episodes and get the same amount of story told without so much extra that doesn't really matter.  Towards the end of the season there were some twists but not sure if the 9+ hours leading up to those were worth it.  

Enjoyed the ideas they played with and some of the storylines were interesting but not something I would watch again.

Grade: C-

 

Lost

Rewatching Lost, almost halfway into season 4.  Seasons 1 and 2 were just as I remembered them and very enjoyable.  But I forgot how off the rails the series went, especially into season 4.  What the hell happened?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started Lost in Space. Not  a terrible start, and i can watch it with Fin (so far anyway). Waaay too early to judge though.

Jessica Jones. S02. Again, one episode in, so too early to tell. I have heard it's not as good as S01.

Designated Survivor S02 - quite enjoyed s01, but have just realised that the whole show has absolutely nothing to do with it primary premise, which was about the only person surviving the presidential office. Now it's just a show about a president. Still, it's a very easy watch, and a bit of a guilty pleasure.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, Lasraik said:

Westworld

I kept hearing how great Westworld was, and it wasn't bad but damn it was drawn out.  Lots of these shows can eliminate 2-3 episodes and get the same amount of story told without so much extra that doesn't really matter.  Towards the end of the season there were some twists but not sure if the 9+ hours leading up to those were worth it.  

Enjoyed the ideas they played with and some of the storylines were interesting but not something I would watch again.

Grade: C-

I agree.  Kept hearing about how good it was and meh.  It was like watching a comedian and waiting on a punch line that never came.  Just kept going on and on.

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some story lines are really interesting, like realizing who the man in black was, and figuring out what was and wasn't a flashback.  Theory crafting was what made it fun for me.  These days toss some nudity and gratuitous violence and you got yourself a smash hit show.  It doesn't take much.

For some reason I have been watching hells kitchen.  I think mostly because Gordon Ramsey gets to do and say whatever he feels and everyone just takes it.  I am envious.

 

Edited by Jag
Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2018 at 9:23 AM, Jag said:

Some story lines are really interesting, like realizing who the man in black was, and figuring out what was and wasn't a flashback.  Theory crafting was what made it fun for me.  These days toss some nudity and gratuitous violence and you got yourself a smash hit show.  It doesn't take much.

For some reason I have been watching hells kitchen.  I think mostly because Gordon Ramsey gets to do and say whatever he feels and everyone just takes it.  I am envious.

 

Which season of Hell's Kitchen?

Cobra Kai (YouTube Red)

I didn't expect much from this series, but damn it's entertaining.  Before I watched it we re-watched the original 'Karate Kid' and I'm glad we did.  Cobra Kai is cheesy and has lots of nostalgic moments but it's self aware and knows it's goofy.  Definitely worth a watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colony 7/10

Binge watched up to seasonn 3, ep 4 in the past week. Excellent sci-fi drama, following a family through alien occupation. It draws a number of parallels to nazi occupation, resistance, holocaust and concentration camps. Ironically, because some of the lead baddies are jewish, and i suspect this is deliberate.

The key is that it's well made. PErhaps not quite HBO quality. But not far off. Also it was cancelled at the end of S03, so i'm preparing for not getting any closure. Unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stranger Things

Season 1 9/10

Season 2 TBD

Been hearing of this series from people before, but suspected it to be overhyped amidst other stuff. Then my niece spoke about it and made me rather interested, so decided to watch an episode or two on Saturday. Finished season 1 that night. Season 2 I have yet to finish but that was due to having things to do on Sunday.

Season 1 I rated, it feels like a complete experience, it kept me hooked all the through and had a coherent and consistent storyline. Winona Ryder needs to downplay her acting sometimes but other than that the whole thing felt well thought out and played. Unanswered questions at the end felt like either deliberate plot hooks for the future or to keep an air of mystery about things.

Season 2 I have not rated as I have not yet finished, and so can't judge whether it will be as coherent and consistence all the way through as the first or if it will end with a letdown. Winona seems better in this one but the kid should have been the one to get eaten.

Pasanda likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I found season 2 distinctly average. I so wanted it to continue being as refreshingly different as was S01. If you continue walking under the same raised bar, you're no longer raising the bar.

Edited by Pasanda
Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sheer idiocy of the fat kid made me just stop watching season 2.  I just wasn't interested anymore.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna give season 2 an 8/10. I am not fussed that it didn't do anything new, it built on what the first one did which is what I wanted. I am deducting for not feeling so wrapped together so to speak, the first season felt like a coherent whole whereas this one felt like it was wandering in places. The bit with Eight I felt was either unnecessary or should have been built on more, maybe have linked Billy and Maxine or something (I thought they were up to something at first, and when it became apparent they weren't already involved with the research facility they kinda felt superfluous). 

16 hours ago, Jag said:

The sheer idiocy of the fat kid made me just stop watching season 2.  I just wasn't interested anymore.

His actions afterwards were really quite despicable too, if we were meant to despise him then they succeeded but I don't think that was the intention. It was a bit too upsetting and close to home for me and kinda put a dampener on the series, but maybe I am just overly sensitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2018 at 11:58 AM, Jazz said:

but maybe I am just overly sensitive.

...it's why we <heart> you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pasanda said:

...it's why we <heart> you.

Wait, that's why? I thought my sexiness was enough!

Elovia likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 0:07 PM, Jazz said:

Wait, that's why? I thought my sexiness was enough!

Frankly, no. It's not enough.

Jazz and Elovia like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Frankly, no. It's not enough.

It may be why we <cock> him, not necessarily why we <heart> him.  :D

 

Pasanda and Jazz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 20/08/2018 at 1:57 PM, Pasanda said:

Colony 7/10

Binge watched up to seasonn 3, ep 4 in the past week. Excellent sci-fi drama, following a family through alien occupation. It draws a number of parallels to nazi occupation, resistance, holocaust and concentration camps. Ironically, because some of the lead baddies are jewish, and i suspect this is deliberate.

The key is that it's well made. PErhaps not quite HBO quality. But not far off. Also it was cancelled at the end of S03, so i'm preparing for not getting any closure. Unfortunately.

So I finished S03, which is the end of the show, as it wasn't picked up. So we didn't get any satisfying ending, but we did get to see the aliens. Seeing the direction it was going, i would have preferred them to tidy up and conclude in S03 anyway - you could start to see the edges fraying and a few repeated popular tropes with some of the characters. 

 

Still, i would recommend it - it does make a good binge.

 

Next? Finishing off S02 of Goliath, which i wasn't enjoying as much as S01. I still have The Magicians to watch out. I've given up on Travellers i think.

Edited by Pasanda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really bummed the Joel McHale Show on Netflix got cancelled.  It was one of my favorites.  

Speaking of Netflix, I'm old enough to remember when 'Orange Is The New Black' was good.  It was never great, but it had it's time of being pretty good.  Season 6 is a chore to watch.  Don't see myself finishing this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried 5 shows recently that haven't really gelled with me at all.

Iron Fist. Season was was OK, but the titular character was little more than a whiney bitch. But the story and other characters were enough to maintain interest. I'm half way through the first episode of season two. So far his whineyness hasn't been too bad.

Luke Cage. Again, S01 wasn't terrible. But i've really struggled with S02. I'm trying to get up the will to watch the last 20 mins of the last episode ever, and that's been difficult.

A Discovery of Witches. Managed 3 episodes. Boring.

The Good Place - Loved S01. Starting to struggle with S02. Need more time.

Disenchanted - Really wanted to watch this. Just not funny at all.

 

Alternatively, 

Final Space - Brilliantly written, very funny, and not too bad for kids either.

Edited by Pasanda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

I've tried 5 shows recently that haven't really gelled with me at all.

Iron Fist. Season was was OK, but the titular character was little more than a whiney bitch. But the story and other characters were enough to maintain interest. I'm half way through the first episode of season two. So far his whineyness hasn't been too bad.

Luke Cage. Again, S01 wasn't terrible. But i've really struggled with S02. I'm trying to get up the will to watch the last 20 mins of the last episode ever, and that's been difficult.

A Discovery of Witches. Managed 3 episodes. Boring.

The Good Place - Loved S01. Starting to struggle with S02. Need more time.

Disenchanted - Really wanted to watch this. Just not funny at all.

 

Alternatively, 

Final Space - Brilliantly written, very funny, and not too bad for kids either.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Disenchanted too, really wanted to like it but couldn't. Apparently its supposed to get better as the season goes on but life is too short and there are too many other options to waste time on maybes, they should work harder to hook you early on.

A Discovery of Witches I've seen the trailers for, immediately struck me as one of those series where its hip to say you like it but is actually a load of wank. Nothing I've seen made me want to waste time on it.

The others I've not heard of at all, is Luke Cage an biographical series on the Street Fighter character? :D 

Need to find some other means of watching The Expanse now that Amazon have stripped it off Netflix, no interest in getting an Amazon subscription.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Disenchanted too, really wanted to like it but couldn't. Apparently its supposed to get better as the season goes on but life is too short and there are too many other options to waste time on maybes, they should work harder to hook you early on.

A Discovery of Witches I've seen the trailers for, immediately struck me as one of those series where its hip to say you like it but is actually a load of wank. Nothing I've seen made me want to waste time on it.

The others I've not heard of at all, is Luke Cage an biographical series on the Street Fighter character? :D 

Need to find some other means of watching The Expanse now that Amazon have stripped it off Netflix, no interest in getting an Amazon subscription.

Prime subscription saves me a fortune in postage - i'd estimate a good few hundred quid a year - yeah, i buy a lot through Prime. The TV is just a free bonus and i barely watch it.

Can I suggest Rarbg and utorrent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Prime subscription saves me a fortune in postage - i'd estimate a good few hundred quid a year - yeah, i buy a lot through Prime. The TV is just a free bonus and i barely watch it.

Can I suggest Rarbg and utorrent?

You can indeed, would prefer legitimate means but if Amazon thinks they can hold my precious to ransom they got another thing coming!

My precious...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jazz said:

You can indeed, would prefer legitimate means but if Amazon thinks they can hold my precious to ransom they got another thing coming!

My precious...

Although i pay for Amazon, Plex is my goto client. So I often prefer to download stuff that i can legitmately watch elsewhere. Reading that back it seems strange, but there we are.

Jazz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Although i pay for Amazon, Plex is my goto client. So I often prefer to download stuff that i can legitmately watch elsewhere. Reading that back it seems strange, but there we are.

Goes to show that people are not pirating stuff because they don't want to pay for it, but for other reasons, which often includes being easier to use illegally due to drm though also just force of habit has a large hand in it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2018 at 5:32 AM, Pasanda said:

I've tried 5 shows recently that haven't really gelled with me at all.

Iron Fist. Season was was OK, but the titular character was little more than a whiney bitch. But the story and other characters were enough to maintain interest. I'm half way through the first episode of season two. So far his whineyness hasn't been too bad.

Luke Cage. Again, S01 wasn't terrible. But i've really struggled with S02. I'm trying to get up the will to watch the last 20 mins of the last episode ever, and that's been difficult.

A Discovery of Witches. Managed 3 episodes. Boring.

The Good Place - Loved S01. Starting to struggle with S02. Need more time.

Disenchanted - Really wanted to watch this. Just not funny at all.

 

Alternatively, 

Final Space - Brilliantly written, very funny, and not too bad for kids either.

There is an order to watch all these in.  There is a crossover season of Daredevil/Jones/Cage/and Iron fist in between 1 and 2 of iron fist. 

I think Daredevil is the best of them.  I just started season 3 and it is interesting so far, but you are left out of the loop if you missed the cross over.  I also really liked the Punnisher.  Which takes off after Daredevil two I think.

Jessica Jones, I got bored as I started the second season.  She is just so petulant. 

I don't remember a Cage season 2.  I'll have to look.

It is starting to feel like they are all the exact same show following typical super hero plots, with mild super hero powers.  Especially Iron fist, this show had the most potential IMO, but Danny Rand is a shit actor and poor martial artist.  Now that I think about it, you could almost make all of them into the same series called "Little Bitches Get Super Powers" 

Spoiler ** Super powers develop, but the little bitch part never leaves"**

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, Jag said:

There is an order to watch all these in.  There is a crossover season of Daredevil/Jones/Cage/and Iron fist in between 1 and 2 of iron fist. 

I think Daredevil is the best of them.  I just started season 3 and it is interesting so far, but you are left out of the loop if you missed the cross over.  I also really liked the Punnisher.  Which takes off after Daredevil two I think.

Jessica Jones, I got bored as I started the second season.  She is just so petulant. 

I don't remember a Cage season 2.  I'll have to look.

It is starting to feel like they are all the exact same show following typical super hero plots, with mild super hero powers.  Especially Iron fist, this show had the most potential IMO, but Danny Rand is a shit actor and poor martial artist.  Now that I think about it, you could almost make all of them into the same series called "Little Bitches Get Super Powers" 

Spoiler ** Super powers develop, but the little bitch part never leaves"**

Luke Cage and Iron First are both cancelled, so there's that.  

The wife and I just finished The Haunting of Hill House.  I kept hearing how great and scary it was, so it felt fitting to watch it around Halloween.

Without spoiling anything, I wasn't really scared through the whole series.  There are a few creepy moments, but overall it's more about the characters and family than it is ghosts.

Grade: C+

SPOILER

Spoiler

 

After the first episode, they spent the next 9 hours building anticipation to what happened the night the wife died.  Episode after episode, they revealed a little bit more about that night and what happened through the years.  When we finally found out what happened that night it was a pretty big letdown.  All those hours of build up for that?  Really?  And the conclusion of the story left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  So, what is the backstory of the house?  Why didn't the rest of the family kill themselves to stay in the house with the other family members, other than Steve who agreed to protect it?  When they are close to death are they going back to the house to die there?  Was it the mom tormenting them all their lives?

I did enjoy the format giving each character their own episode and backstory.  I noticed especially on Netflix that their seasons go on way too long, they could have cut two or three episodes out of this series and told the same story.  The last few episodes really started to drag.  

There were a few laughs when something scary would happen and the characters go on as if nothing happened.  One example is when the two daughters are driving to the house and the corpse of their recently deceased sister pops up between the seats and yells at them.  They pull over and jump out of the car, then proceed to have a conversation about another subject and never mention that their dead sister was in the back seat.  


 

 

Pasanda likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0