Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What series are you currently watching.

164 posts in this topic

Almost done with season 6 of the Walking Dead.  The show has changed so much, now its kind of a slap stick horror kind of thing.  My kid watches studio C and showed me this.  It sums up the show so well.

7 hours ago, Jag said:

Almost done with season 6 of the Walking Dead.  The show has changed so much, now its kind of a slap stick horror kind of thing.  My kid watches studio C and showed me this.  It sums up the show so well.

That's hilarious 

Longevity of Zombie series and games has always struck me as being short. Unless it has something like Resident Evil with super-zombie monsters and creations in addition to the zombies with a mind behind it all then where is it to go? How long before watching or playing someone dodging zombies and trying to survive before it gets repetitive? I know a lot of these shows have it that "Other humans are the enemies!!!111!" but that doesn't need zombies for that and they tend to be rather samey enemies too...

Jag likes this

On 11/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jazz said:

Longevity of Zombie series and games has always struck me as being short. Unless it has something like Resident Evil with super-zombie monsters and creations in addition to the zombies with a mind behind it all then where is it to go? How long before watching or playing someone dodging zombies and trying to survive before it gets repetitive? I know a lot of these shows have it that "Other humans are the enemies!!!111!" but that doesn't need zombies for that and they tend to be rather samey enemies too...

I thought that too. But that was about 10 years ago.

The Haunting of Hill House 74%

Very reminiscent of an HBO series. Top quality. Superb actors. No one famous (aside from ET's Elliot - who was superb BTW). The beautiful and very talented Carla Gugino is well worth watching. It is scary, but it doesn't do scares for scares sake.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:54 AM, Jazz said:

This is the Apocalypse story line.   After learning to deal with the initial crisis, learning to live in an uncivilized world becomes the main plot.  The main casts journey and loss coupled with the desire to retain/rebuild the world they knew.

9 hours ago, Jag said:

This is the Apocalypse story line.   After learning to deal with the initial crisis, learning to live in an uncivilized world becomes the main plot.  The main casts journey and loss coupled with the desire to retain/rebuild the world they knew.

It's still boring.  It might have been ok once, or maybe even twice ... but there have been too many rehashes of the theme overall.

16 hours ago, Elovia said:

It's still boring.  It might have been ok once, or maybe even twice ... but there have been too many rehashes of the theme overall.

But it's my favorite genre.  Probably because of my never-ending fantasy for some kind of apocalyptic disaster that will save me from the mundane atrocities of daily life.

But in truth, I don't think I really appreciated the fun of the walking dead until a scene in season 8.   A zombie was leaning against a fence and when it started to get up, its eyeball stayed stuck to the fence as it turned its head.  Something shifted deep inside me.  It was a moment of clarity.  I wretched and laughed at the same time.  In that pristine moment of clarity, I finally understood.  I was not supposed to take the show seriously.  Everything got better about it at that point.  Now I actually cheer when something gruesome is going to happen.  The show is better now, and I am forever ruined.

Edited by Jag

On 11/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, Jag said:

On 11/20/2018 at 0:51 AM, Elovia said:

As Elovia said. Plus, they seem to be rather crap at the whole rebuilding thing, as they never get anywhere. If I wanted Human Drama I'd watch Eastenders. 

Plus, the traditional Zombie (slow walking shambler) would not be a major threat. You would need a world plague that wipes out most of the people first all at once, then it would be the plague that would be the threat, the shamblers just something that happens to the few left over. Without the superior numbers from a plague, the Zombies would have nothing: even if every single person who has ever died from the beginning of the human race rose up as a zombie, they would still be vastly outnumbered by the living, who are faster moving and can use tools. 

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

if every single person who has ever died from the beginning of the human race rose up as a zombie, they would still be vastly outnumbered by the living,

I heard that too, and possibly posted it here a few years back. It's a very attractive fact to believe. But i now believe it not to be true. According to research published by the BBC, we likely surpassed 7 billion dead in 8000BC, and the number dead is closer to 107 billion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

Jazz likes this

Anyone watched a series recently where they thought "Wow, that was amazing".

I'm hunting for the next great thing.

Just finished the Haunting of Hill House. That was a "Wow".

On 11/22/2018 at 1:28 PM, Pasanda said:

I heard that too, and possibly posted it here a few years back. It's a very attractive fact to believe. But i now believe it not to be true. According to research published by the BBC, we likely surpassed 7 billion dead in 8000BC, and the number dead is closer to 107 billion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

Well, that makes me reassess everything I thought was real. 

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well, that makes me reassess everything I thought was real. 

Hint: if it is made out of foam and used during a fantasy battle held in the woods by a bunch of adolescent-man-children, it probably isn't real.  :D

Dunnar likes this

On 01/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, Elovia said:

Hint: if it is made out of foam and used during a fantasy battle held in the woods by a bunch of adolescent-man-children, it probably isn't real.  :D

Made in LOL IRL.