Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

What series are you currently watching.

175 posts in this topic

Almost done with season 6 of the Walking Dead.  The show has changed so much, now its kind of a slap stick horror kind of thing.  My kid watches studio C and showed me this.  It sums up the show so well.

7 hours ago, Jag said:

Almost done with season 6 of the Walking Dead.  The show has changed so much, now its kind of a slap stick horror kind of thing.  My kid watches studio C and showed me this.  It sums up the show so well.

That's hilarious 

Longevity of Zombie series and games has always struck me as being short. Unless it has something like Resident Evil with super-zombie monsters and creations in addition to the zombies with a mind behind it all then where is it to go? How long before watching or playing someone dodging zombies and trying to survive before it gets repetitive? I know a lot of these shows have it that "Other humans are the enemies!!!111!" but that doesn't need zombies for that and they tend to be rather samey enemies too...

Jag likes this

On 11/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, Jazz said:

Longevity of Zombie series and games has always struck me as being short. Unless it has something like Resident Evil with super-zombie monsters and creations in addition to the zombies with a mind behind it all then where is it to go? How long before watching or playing someone dodging zombies and trying to survive before it gets repetitive? I know a lot of these shows have it that "Other humans are the enemies!!!111!" but that doesn't need zombies for that and they tend to be rather samey enemies too...

I thought that too. But that was about 10 years ago.

The Haunting of Hill House 74%

Very reminiscent of an HBO series. Top quality. Superb actors. No one famous (aside from ET's Elliot - who was superb BTW). The beautiful and very talented Carla Gugino is well worth watching. It is scary, but it doesn't do scares for scares sake.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:54 AM, Jazz said:

This is the Apocalypse story line.   After learning to deal with the initial crisis, learning to live in an uncivilized world becomes the main plot.  The main casts journey and loss coupled with the desire to retain/rebuild the world they knew.

9 hours ago, Jag said:

This is the Apocalypse story line.   After learning to deal with the initial crisis, learning to live in an uncivilized world becomes the main plot.  The main casts journey and loss coupled with the desire to retain/rebuild the world they knew.

It's still boring.  It might have been ok once, or maybe even twice ... but there have been too many rehashes of the theme overall.

16 hours ago, Elovia said:

It's still boring.  It might have been ok once, or maybe even twice ... but there have been too many rehashes of the theme overall.

But it's my favorite genre.  Probably because of my never-ending fantasy for some kind of apocalyptic disaster that will save me from the mundane atrocities of daily life.

But in truth, I don't think I really appreciated the fun of the walking dead until a scene in season 8.   A zombie was leaning against a fence and when it started to get up, its eyeball stayed stuck to the fence as it turned its head.  Something shifted deep inside me.  It was a moment of clarity.  I wretched and laughed at the same time.  In that pristine moment of clarity, I finally understood.  I was not supposed to take the show seriously.  Everything got better about it at that point.  Now I actually cheer when something gruesome is going to happen.  The show is better now, and I am forever ruined.

Edited by Jag

On 11/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, Jag said:

On 11/20/2018 at 0:51 AM, Elovia said:

As Elovia said. Plus, they seem to be rather crap at the whole rebuilding thing, as they never get anywhere. If I wanted Human Drama I'd watch Eastenders. 

Plus, the traditional Zombie (slow walking shambler) would not be a major threat. You would need a world plague that wipes out most of the people first all at once, then it would be the plague that would be the threat, the shamblers just something that happens to the few left over. Without the superior numbers from a plague, the Zombies would have nothing: even if every single person who has ever died from the beginning of the human race rose up as a zombie, they would still be vastly outnumbered by the living, who are faster moving and can use tools. 

3 hours ago, Jazz said:

if every single person who has ever died from the beginning of the human race rose up as a zombie, they would still be vastly outnumbered by the living,

I heard that too, and possibly posted it here a few years back. It's a very attractive fact to believe. But i now believe it not to be true. According to research published by the BBC, we likely surpassed 7 billion dead in 8000BC, and the number dead is closer to 107 billion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

Jazz likes this

Anyone watched a series recently where they thought "Wow, that was amazing".

I'm hunting for the next great thing.

Just finished the Haunting of Hill House. That was a "Wow".

On 11/22/2018 at 1:28 PM, Pasanda said:

I heard that too, and possibly posted it here a few years back. It's a very attractive fact to believe. But i now believe it not to be true. According to research published by the BBC, we likely surpassed 7 billion dead in 8000BC, and the number dead is closer to 107 billion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16870579

Well, that makes me reassess everything I thought was real. 

5 hours ago, Jazz said:

Well, that makes me reassess everything I thought was real. 

Hint: if it is made out of foam and used during a fantasy battle held in the woods by a bunch of adolescent-man-children, it probably isn't real.  :D

Dunnar likes this

On 01/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, Elovia said:

Hint: if it is made out of foam and used during a fantasy battle held in the woods by a bunch of adolescent-man-children, it probably isn't real.  :D

Made in LOL IRL.

Posted (edited)

I do that too. It's still several months out no?

I showed my lad the scene of them dragging the dragon out of the water. He was crying, which is very rare. So sweet.

Edited by Pasanda

21 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

I do that too. It's still several months out no?

I saw everyone was thinking April.  I just got through season 1.  There's about 70 episodes left, so that puts me at about 1+ per day to finish.  I should be able to manage that.

Oh, i see. Wow. I really kind of envious that you have all of that ahead of you. What do you think so far?

Dunnar likes this

3 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Oh, i see. Wow. I really kind of envious that you have all of that ahead of you. What do you think so far?

I've already seen the entire series. Just watching it again. Still enjoying it and I'm amazed how much more I pick out having saw it already. 

Has anyone else tried watching The Orville? It's a really odd one for me. I think McFarlane taking on a comedy sci fi, based, very clearly on his love of TNG is an extremely brave move. It also feels a bit like an ego piece too. I think for the most part it works, and to some extent it work very well. But it also struggle to find an identity, often having completely straight storylines, with comedic moments injected, rather than being straight out comedy, or straight out serious.

I'd be interested in hearing on others' take on it, and suspect there will be as many haters as likers.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Pasanda said:

Has anyone else tried watching The Orville? It's a really odd one for me. I think McFarlane taking on a comedy sci fi, based, very clearly on his love of TNG is an extremely brave move. It also feels a bit like an ego piece too. I think for the most part it works, and to some extent it work very well. But it also struggle to find an identity, often having completely straight storylines, with comedic moments injected, rather than being straight out comedy, or straight out serious.

I'd be interested in hearing on others' take on it, and suspect there will be as many haters as likers.

I think you summed it up pretty well from my perspective.  I don't watch much TV, but I have watched an occasional episode of The Orville with my wife who watches it.  It isn't quite funny or satirical enough to be a comedy, and the writing is too loose to be a drama.  One gets the initial impression they're going for a less serious, bro's and ho's version of Star Trek where every character possesses some unique characteristic or quirk that conveniently works to save the day for whatever predicament the crew gets into.  Many of the characters have direct analogous Star Trek characters (pick a version or a character), whether by trait, mannerism, or place in the crew.  One of the supporting cast members (i.e., a parental unit of a crew member) was the actor who served as the doctor aboard the Voyager.  I expect other cameo appearances by other ST actors and actresses.

I don't like it or hate it.  I don't have strong feelings toward it.  I consider it a curiosity that it made it past the first season and is still around.  Somebody must like it and appreciate it for what it is ... whatever that is ... whoever they are ...

Millennials, huh? ... go figure.  ... or maybe it's all Obama's fault somehow.

Edited by Elovia
Pasanda likes this

Wasn't there a British version of The Orville? Not Red Dwarf, one that was based on Star Trek style. I remember now, Hyperdrive! Had the guy Nick Frost (from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) in it. Oh my god they made two seasons of it...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481449/

In 2151, the mission of Her Majesty's Ship Camden Lock is to convince alien governments to relocate their businesses to Britain. The motley crew is a bunch of good-for-nothings led by the equally useless but well-meaning Commander Henderson.

6 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Wasn't there a British version of The Orville? Not Red Dwarf, one that was based on Star Trek style. I remember now, Hyperdrive! Had the guy Nick Frost (from Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) in it. Oh my god they made two seasons of it...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481449/

I have both seasons, but have only watched part of the first. It's tough. I really want it to work, BECAUSE it's British. It certainly tried to ride the coattails of Red Dwarf (Heck, even Red Dwarf has tried to ride the coattails of Red Dwarf), but hasn't faired so well in my opinon. There is something cringeworthy about most BBC Sci fi that renders it impossible for me to watch, and i firmly put Dr Who in the centre of that (yes, even the new series). Hyperdrive had it too. Best reason to watch it was Petra Massey, the hot AI. Why are AI's always hot? 

6 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

I have both seasons, but have only watched part of the first. It's tough. I really want it to work, BECAUSE it's British. It certainly tried to ride the coattails of Red Dwarf (Heck, even Red Dwarf has tried to ride the coattails of Red Dwarf), but hasn't faired so well in my opinon. There is something cringeworthy about most BBC Sci fi that renders it impossible for me to watch, and i firmly put Dr Who in the centre of that (yes, even the new series). Hyperdrive had it too. Best reason to watch it was Petra Massey, the hot AI. Why are AI's always hot? 

Apparently according to one review on that IMDB link says that it gets better after the first few episodes but not got that far enough myself to know if true. Yeah, I do think Dr Who has actually been a detriment in many regards to British sci-fi which is a shame since we apparently used to do a lot of good sci-fi (Quatermass for instance). Original Dr Who at least had the excuse that they lacked the funding and special effects to do anything better, and behind the wobbly cardboard sets there was often a decent storyline hidden there. New Who though seemed to think the cheese was somehow a part of it and went all out on it, while neglecting the plot, and is one of the reasons I just stopped watching it. It seems to have stifled British sci-fi the same way Star Trek apparently ended up stifling sci-fi on US TV (at least the space exploration sci-fi).

AIs are always hot so that you don't mind when they rise up and take over. Hot dominatrix AI seems to get away with a lot more things.

Pasanda likes this

Anyone watching ST:Discovery? It's just coming to the end of season 2. What do you think?