Lasraik

The gap between casuals and pro players

11 posts in this topic

There are a ton of resources out there for professional players and those people aspiring to be professional players.  But how many of the millions (I've heard 12-15 million) who play Magic really care about professional play?

Most of the most successful YouTube channels aren't geared towards pro players.  They are channels like TCC and ManaSource (whether you like these channels or not) focus on product reviews, budget decks and cater towards casuals.  

Of the millions who play Magic, I would guess less than 5% care about Grand Prix, Pro Tours and formats.  They buy cards and brew decks to play with their friends and family.  They buy sealed product and singles that they need, but don't aspire to be the next LSV.  This is why formats like EDH and Pauper are gaining popularity, they are cheap to buy into and people play to have fun.  Spending upwards of $500 for a Standard deck that will rotate isn't something most players even care about.  

 

 

rainman, Abaddon and JesGolbez like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After experiencing some competitive REL events I gotta say, it's not very glamorous. Sure it's a lot of fun but the amount of work and luck needed to put into for such a small prize pool ($1200 bucks maybe? or if you're at an open or GP not much more) is not worth the effort. If that's your prerogative in life then more power to you.

Maybe competitive play would be more popular if there were more incentives to do so. Right now they just aren't there.

It's fun to discuss competitive play and what deck(s) are taking over the meta for whichever format. Magic gives off a real nice illusion that the everyday person can become a pro and win win win.

I'm going to start diving into Pauper soon on MTGO. While I enjoy EDH, I never take it seriously enough to satisfy that competitive hunger I feel. Maybe Pauper will fill that need for online play. I'm getting kind of bored of standard right now, it's probably just my local meta it's BG Delirium and RW Vehicles heavy, so I'm looking for something a bit different. I've almost been tempted to start building some casual decks again for the hell of it. 

Lasraik likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

After experiencing some competitive REL events I gotta say, it's not very glamorous. Sure it's a lot of fun but the amount of work and luck needed to put into for such a small prize pool ($1200 bucks maybe? or if you're at an open or GP not much more) is not worth the effort. If that's your prerogative in life then more power to you.

Maybe competitive play would be more popular if there were more incentives to do so. Right now they just aren't there.

It's fun to discuss competitive play and what deck(s) are taking over the meta for whichever format. Magic gives off a real nice illusion that the everyday person can become a pro and win win win.

I'm going to start diving into Pauper soon on MTGO. While I enjoy EDH, I never take it seriously enough to satisfy that competitive hunger I feel. Maybe Pauper will fill that need for online play. I'm getting kind of bored of standard right now, it's probably just my local meta it's BG Delirium and RW Vehicles heavy, so I'm looking for something a bit different. I've almost been tempted to start building some casual decks again for the hell of it. 

Sometimes I get wrapped up in what's the optimum deck that I forget how fun it is just to make a janky brew for fun to play with friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not both? Have some standard/modern/legacy/vintage inspired decks and have some janky decks that use sub-optimal cards just because you think they are cool or the creature is awesome. 

Some days you want to be silly and some days you want to go for the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aurian said:

Why not both? Have some standard/modern/legacy/vintage inspired decks and have some janky decks that use sub-optimal cards just because you think they are cool or the creature is awesome. 

Some days you want to be silly and some days you want to go for the win.

I think a lot of it has to do with who you are playing with.  Most of the time my playgroup builds wonky group decks that do goofy stuff when they go off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not hard to get into the pro levels, but the casuals make the pros seem like the greatest players ever.

Requires luck, decent source of income/sponsorships and rules knowledge. Thats all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my anecdotal experience, casual players don't consume a lot of the MTG media. My wife and I are some of the few casual players that consume a lot of MTG content.

Most of our playgroups? They rarely read the main site, reddit, or other websites... I often let them know about new sets and what is going on in MTG news. 

The consumers of online content tend to be competitive players...either those who just play FNM, all the way up to PT Wannabes.

 

That is why, sadly, there isn't a whole lot of casual-focused content... Demand just doesn't seem to be there, or the casual players who do consume the content aren't active in the community..lots of lurkers :P 

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

From my anecdotal experience, casual players don't consume a lot of the MTG media. My wife and I are some of the few casual players that consume a lot of MTG content.

Most of our playgroups? They rarely read the main site, reddit, or other websites... I often let them know about new sets and what is going on in MTG news. 

The consumers of online content tend to be competitive players...either those who just play FNM, all the way up to PT Wannabes.

 

That is why, sadly, there isn't a whole lot of casual-focused content... Demand just doesn't seem to be there, or the casual players who do consume the content aren't active in the community..lots of lurkers :P 

This is true.  I consume a ton of MTG media and I've always been a casual.  I guess most casuals don't make that leap.  And you're right - I have to remind my playgroup sometimes that a new set is out or what cards are the most sought after.  

JesGolbez likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a casual player and this forum is 100% of my daily intake of media. I think a lot of casual MtG players also have another game/system as their main focus; MtG is what you do while you wait for everyone to turn up (or finish a game that you just got "one-shotted" out of!).

MTGZuby and Lasraik like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now