Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

commander
Noob Question: What do you look for in a Commander?

11 posts in this topic

Noob question here but what do you look for in a Commander?  Either a general rule or your own playstyle/preferences

Abaddon likes this

I look for commanders I can build some kind of game engine around, such as Sydri or Savra.  I usually do a Gatherer search, or have browsed through my collection for a bunch of cards in those colors that work well with each other to generate card advantage and/or overwhelming win conditions/combo kills.

1) what type of deck do you like, what play style? Aggro, control, combo... Or is there a theme you want to do? (Dragons, angels, etc)

2) How many colours do you want to do? For example, will you choose a mono-red dragon, or a 3 colour, or a five colour one? If you don't want to attempt too many colours that will limit your options. 

3) Likewise, if you choose to do combo, that also narrows your options if the commander needs to be combo-licious. 

4) Do you want the deck to REQUIRE the commander in order to play or do you want to have a 100 card deck that can work without the commander but works better with? I have 3 decks that can be played in normal casual Magic because they don't require the commander in play (but they get silly with the commander), and one deck that REQUIRES the commander to work. That last deck doesn't get played much since I don't do a lot of commander games... 

Lasraik likes this

On 11/28/2016 at 3:40 PM, BlutEntropy said:

Idiots who pay a ridiculous premium for foils.

Most EDH players probably say "idiots who pay ridiculous premium for Modern and Legacy playsets"

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Most EDH players probably say "idiots who pay ridiculous premium for Modern and Legacy playsets"

Usually, it's "at least I only need 1 copy per deck". :P

On 12/8/2016 at 11:52 AM, Molimo said:

Usually, it's "at least I only need 1 copy per deck". :P

True, but 1/4 of the cost B)