Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dunnar

Board games

22 posts in this topic

It dawned on me ... I play a lot of board games.

Pokémon monopoly and Yellowstone monopoly

My kids love playing monopoly. They love these versions, especially after playing Pokémon go and going to Yellowstone.  Games don't take as long as you think, so long as people are making deals.

Axis and Allies 1940 edition Pacific and Europe

Major twist on the original. If you like the original, then this is the evolution. There are more countries, like Italy and Australia. New types units that are custom to each country. You can combine the boards into one super board. Only downside, games can take forever. But if you like the original, then you are comfortable with that. 

Risk Legacy

If you can get a regular group of people to play, this game is fantastic. The games dont take as long as the original, but the rules change over time. The game is built to play 15 times. Don't let that dissuade you. You add stickers to the board which permanently alters it. Winners sign and date the board. Before the first game, players pick a faction (you aren't always the same faction), pick a rule associated with that faction, then throw away all other rule choices. Rule are added based on game events. It's a great time and definitely worth a look if you have the players.

Edited by Dunnar
Lasraik likes this

In similar vein as your examples, I would recommend Advanced Civilization - the Avalon Hill board game that inspired Sid Meier to steal the IP for his own.  I would recommend it, but then I just looked it up on Amazon at at list price of $500 ... Holy Shit that's expensive!  Other sellers have it as low as $200.  You may be able to find it cheaper on Ebay.  The only thing I can think of to justify the price is that it must be considered a collectible.  That said, this recommended game is an expansion (map, technologies, civilizations, etc. - expanded in just about every way) to the original Civilization board game by Avalon Hill which sells on Amazon for $90.  Again, you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.  Personally, I think the expanded game is much better and more fun than the vanilla stock game. YMMV.

Before laying out that kind of money on a recommendation, know  that Avalon Hill also published a DOS version of the same, and it can be found, downloaded and played for free at Abandonia.com (good written description there).  I purchased the original on CD and recommend it ... it is that much fun.  And games can be somewhat relaxing.  It does have an occasional game crashing bug, but it isn't that disruptive if you save often; AH was not allowed to continue support after Sid Meier won the case in court.

The game is classic strategy, and requires several other players which makes it a fun, social event (exception noted that the DOS version may be played solo or multi - remember PBEM?) ... it includes territory take over (there comes a point where it becomes more of a territory maintenance than conquest), interpersonal trading goods (and misrepresenting your trade to hand off calamities - so there is an element of risk trading with other civilizations), and progression of your chosen civilization (many to choose from) with new technologies.

Boag, Dunnar and Lasraik like this

We play a lot of Fantasy Flight board games.

Descent, Imperial assault, battle star galactica, twilight imperium, settlers.  Also several card games like lord of the rings and warhammer.

We have been playing a lot of star wars risk with the younger kids since Christmas.

On 1/3/2017 at 0:55 PM, Jag said:

We play a lot of Fantasy Flight board games.

Descent, Imperial assault, battle star galactica, twilight imperium, settlers.  Also several card games like lord of the rings and warhammer.

We have been playing a lot of star wars risk with the younger kids since Christmas.

Star Wars Risk sounds like something my kids would enjoy

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

Star Wars Risk sounds like something my kids would enjoy

They have played Star Wars monopoly.  Actually, they have Star Wars everything.  Star Wars Life, Star Wars Sorry.  I'm sure there are a ton.

Speaking of Sorry ... that is a great family game.  The kids love it.

I love playing off the wall board games.

Mercante
Dominare
Canalis
Courtier
Love Letter
DnD Lords of Waterdeep
Splendor
Hanabi
The Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Once Upon A Time
Age of War
Ikusa