Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

pauper
Pauper: R/B Crushing Reunion Decklist

23 posts in this topic

Thought it would be easier to start a new thread for this deck list instead of adding to the original.

The deck is built around discarding and drawing using Cathartic Reunion and Faithless looting to draw Exhume and either using it to cast Ulamog's Crusher or using Delve to cast Gurmag Angler, then smashing face.  In the meantime I added removal and a little hand disruption to prevent my opponent from killing me.  In the event I run into tokens or Elves, I have Nausea in the sideboard and more removal.

128.jpg109.jpg134.jpg13.jpg72.jpg

This is my deck list going into our Pauper tournament this Saturday:

Creatures Quantity   Lands  
Gurmag Angler 4   Swamps 7
Ulamog's Crusher 4   Mountains 6
Insolent Neonate 3   Bloodfell Caves 4
      Terramorphic Expanse 1
      Evolving Wilds 1
Spells Quantity      
Cathartic Reunion 4      
Exhume 4   Sideboard  
Lightning Bolt 4   Nausea 3
Faithless Looting 4   Raven's Crime 2
Terminate 4   Distress 2
Duress 4   Grasp of Darkness 2
Temur Battle Rage 2   Crush 2
Essence Harvest 2   Flame Slash 1
Raven's Crime 2   Temur Battle Rage 1
      Evolving Wilds 1
      Terramorphic Expanse 1

Abaddon likes this

Edited the deck list.  Replaced a few removal cards with more hand disruption.  Instead of waiting on targets for removal spells (still have Lightning Bolt and Terminate) you can always cast a Duress or Raven's Crime on them instead.  

Also added a few more Nausea in the side board for tokens or decks like Elves.

How has this deck performed for you? It seems like it doesn't do much unless it has beef on the field... that was my first impression

7 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

How has this deck performed for you? It seems like it doesn't do much unless it has beef on the field... that was my first impression

Not bad.   I replaced some removal with discard spells because there were times I had removal in my hand and no targets.  But with the Faithless Looting and Reunion I could easily replace those cards with something else.  Granted I haven't played any tier 1 decks with it yet but it's done better than I expected so far.  

12 hours ago, Abaddon said:

What archetypes have you played vs?

I played against black control, blue/black mill and a token deck.  An Orzhov deck beat me down cause I couldn't keep up with the life gain.

Welp, changed up the deck list a little last night and went 0-3 today in a Pauper tournament at my LGS.  First round went 1-2 against Slivers but the third game was really close.  Second game played a blue red Delver deck that had counters just when I got going and went 1-2 against mono White humans.  Journey to Nowhere came out at just the right time, before I could swing for lethal damage in game 3.

But had fun and will keep tinkering with this deck list.  I took out Insolent Neonate and I regret doing that, could have come in handy.

Sorry to hear :(

I just remember goldfishing a deck similar to this, and it seemed rather fragile. It depends on one big threat, and doesn't seem to have enough answers. It might not be able to compete with the stronger pauper decks, but it might just need a different angle. 

3 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

Sorry to hear :(

I just remember goldfishing a deck similar to this, and it seemed rather fragile. It depends on one big threat, and doesn't seem to have enough answers. It might not be able to compete with the stronger pauper decks, but it might just need a different angle. 

It's missing... something.  I added a play set of Lava Spikes in the place of Neonate, but it was a mistake.  I don't think I need Neonate in this deck, I draw and discard enough with Faithless Looting and Cathartic Reunion.  Need an early threat, and was thinking this morning about maybe adding in something like Goblin Bushwhacker or another goblin that can get out early and serve as a blocker later.  

The decks I played were tier 1 or 2, it was competitive and went 3 games each one but just couldn't recover from being removal and counters. 

On 3/14/2017 at 8:24 PM, Abaddon said:

Maybe a token spell - adds creatures and more cards to the graveyard for Delve

Considered that, but most of those spells are a little expensive.  Thinking I may go with something like Kiln Fiend or Bushwhacker to get a presence on the battlefield before I can go off

13 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Built this on MTGO but haven't played it yet. Will be doing so soon :) this looks tons of fun 

Let me know how it plays for you, maybe together we can get it 5-0ing lol

MTGZuby likes this

On 3/24/2017 at 10:42 AM, Lasraik said:

Let me know how it plays for you, maybe together we can get it 5-0ing lol

Haven't played it as much as the UB Improvise but in a few matches I've not had much luck. This deck feels like it really depends on your opening hand for it to succeed. I'll keep messing around with it

Lasraik likes this

8 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Haven't played it as much as the UB Improvise but in a few matches I've not had much luck. This deck feels like it really depends on your opening hand for it to succeed. I'll keep messing around with it

Yeah I noticed that, too.  If your opening hand is strong you can have Crusher on the board in a couple of turns.  If not, your opponent gets going and it's hard to recover.

Was thinking of trying something like this, comes out with haste and adds to the graveyard/delve:

123 (1).jpg155.jpg

Still tinkering with this list, and after listening to an episode of Color Commonary I gave the list a pretty massive overhaul.  I went off of this list:

8-15-2017 11-03-15 AM.png

From my list I removed:

Lightning Bolt x4

Terminate x2

Cathartic Reunion x2

Temur Battle Rage x2

Essence Harvest x2

Gurmag Angler x2

Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse 

Mountains x2

Added:

Stinkweed Imp x3

Lightning Axe x2

Shred Memory x4

Tormenting Voice x2

Dragon Breath x3

Sandstone Needle x4

Anarchist x1

Cartouche of Ambition x1

Had to order a few cards and thankfully they came before our Sunday Pauper matches at my LGS.  I didn't have a chance to play test it, had to sleeve it up at work the night before.  I felt pretty comfortable with the deck before so I thought I'd just wing it and should at least be competitive.  

I was wrong.

Went 0-4 in matches and 0-2 in games.  We had an odd number of people, since I was in last place I got a mercy bye during game 3.  

Was sure to mulligan for the right starting hands, but this version didn't work for me.  Not to say it's not a good deck, but for my play style I regretted making so many changes.

Thoughts on the cards I added:

Stinkweed Imp - Strong card because of it's Dredge ability.  I had this in my original list way back and took it out but I should have left it in.  As a bonus to Dredge, you end up with it back in your hand and can play it, giving you some blockers v.s. Delver.  I think 3 is a good number.

Lightning Axe - I get why this card works in a deck like this, but give me Lightning Bolt instead.  There were a few times all I had was this in my hand and couldn't play it cause I didn't have anything to discard.

Shred Memory - There have been a few times I've pitched Exhume into my graveyard and shed a little tear cause I couldn't get it back out.  This is a nice way to pull it back out.  Think 2 is a nice number because it's so situational.

Tormenting Voice - I keep hearing how people prefer this over Cathartic Reunion, but I don't agree.  In this deck archetype you mulligan down to get the favorable hand and you either have something in hand you want in the graveyard or you're probably in trouble.  I'd rather have the ability to discard two cards and draw three than discard one and draw two with Tormenting Voice for the same CC.  Reunion is weaker later in the game because you're already pitching stuff and you may not have two to discard but you want to go off as fast as you can, otherwise your opponent builds their board and even if you do get Crusher out they have cards to annihilate and ways to deal with it or counter it all together.

Dragon Breath - Strong card

Sandstone Needle - Great land.  It is a feel bad to use the 2 tokens and lose the land, but again if you're going into late game when your opponent starts getting settled in youre in trouble anyway.  I don't know why I haven't used this card before in something like Goblins or Burn.

Anarchist - Too high of a CC for my taste.  I'd prefer another copy of Shred Memory.

Cartouche of Ambition - Good but has to come out at the right time, otherwise it's just more stuff to throw in the graveyard.  One copy max.

The biggest thing I missed from my last list was Terminates and Bolts.  It gave me some time to get setup and defend myself if I wasn't drawing what I needed.  I get why having only two Lightning Axes makes sense for some players cause you want to go all in on the graveyard strategy, but it's frustrating seeing your opponent casting creatures who are drawing them cards, triggering abilities and/or getting ready to smash your face in.  Having a Bolt or Terminate without having to worry about discarding cards for Lightning Axe gave you time to setup and recover from bad draws.

After Sunday I was discouraged and even thought about taking this deck apart, but I'm going to give it a few days and come back to this list and try to improve it again.

From when I goldfished a similar list on Cockatrice, the deck just struck me as WAY too inconsistent. Don't be afraid to give up on it... sometimes, decks just don't work out. Aurian and I have had pet decks that we tried to make worrk, and just couldn't

The big problem is that you really have only 1 reanimation spell, and there are tools to take care of your big creature. If I was going to build the Exhume deck, I'd rather go for the hexproof 5/5 from Amonkhet. 

Lasraik likes this

45 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

From when I goldfished a similar list on Cockatrice, the deck just struck me as WAY too inconsistent. Don't be afraid to give up on it... sometimes, decks just don't work out. Aurian and I have had pet decks that we tried to make worrk, and just couldn't

The big problem is that you really have only 1 reanimation spell, and there are tools to take care of your big creature. If I was going to build the Exhume deck, I'd rather go for the hexproof 5/5 from Amonkhet. 

I thought about going three colors and including blue in this build for that creature and cantrips.

Magonista66 likes this

Not sure what it is about this deck that I can't let go but I haven't given up on making it more consistent and competitive.  

Have been considering Crypt Rats to replace some removal cards the deck depends on, doubles as a blocker or attacker depending on what the board state is.  The problem with it is I can only use black.  

Also Horror of Broken Lands when Faithless Looting or Cathartic Reunion goes off.  Miasmic Mummy to pitch the creatures I want in the graveyard and get a creature.  

5.jpg95.jpg100.jpg

I dunno...then you are starting to turn this deck into something else completely :P

Even the Exhume+5/5 Hexproof cycler guy is powerful, but hinges on having both cards...going up against any deck with counterspells? Yuck

Lasraik likes this

19 hours ago, JesGolbez said:

I dunno...then you are starting to turn this deck into something else completely :P

Even the Exhume+5/5 Hexproof cycler guy is powerful, but hinges on having both cards...going up against any deck with counterspells? Yuck

I have a bad habit of turning decks into something else completely when I'm trying to just make tweaks :)  Counterspells ruin my day with this deck since it's a bit of a one trick pony

Seeing this video from @MtgSpotlight got my little brain thinking about this deck again

I didn't really consider going all in with Dark Ritual, cause that puts even more pressure on having the perfect or close to perfect opening hand to really take advantage of it.  Putrid Imp is an interesting choice here, you don't have to sacrifice it to discard a card from your hand, which is a bonus.

Having Eldrazi Devestator is a great idea for this deck too.