Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGZuby

Your MTG Unpopular Opinions

45 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

After just doing an episode about unpopular MTG opinions, let's ask you all what are some of your unpopular opinions you hold about MTG?

No holding back!

Not sure if this counts as unpopular, but i've definitely never heard/read anyone voicing this opinion around the MtG content sphere: the legend and planeswalker uniqueness rules should be changed (again!) so that if you have a legend/planeswalker in play, you can't play another one. Letting people double up on Mox Opal/Gaea's Cradle/planeswalker activations with the current rule doesn't make sense

TheCandyMan, Abaddon and Lasraik like this

Most big MTG content creators preach community and helping each other but it's lip service.  They are only after their own interests and online clique, and if you critique or in any way disagree with them they shun you.

Unfortunately, WotC caters to a lot of these people and that's why you see the same people over and over on DailyMTG and any other event that includes content creators.

Instead of fostering the smaller YouTubers, podcasters, bloggers (and yes, forum admins *cough*) they spotlight the same people over and over when they should be helping the smaller creators that will help spread the word about their brand and give them more business.

To DailyMTG's credit, they have been doing a little better spotlighting smaller creators with their Community Spotlight section.

4 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Most big MTG content creators preach community and helping each other but it's lip service.  They are only after their own interests and online clique, and if you critique or in any way disagree with them they shun you.

Unfortunately, WotC caters to a lot of these people and that's why you see the same people over and over on DailyMTG and any other event that includes content creators.

Instead of fostering the smaller YouTubers, podcasters, bloggers (and yes, forum admins *cough*) they spotlight the same people over and over when they should be helping the smaller creators that will help spread the word about their brand and give them more business.

To DailyMTG's credit, they have been doing a little better spotlighting smaller creators with their Community Spotlight section.

This. Plus if I can add, why do most people hate on blue players ? Control 4evah ! :ph34r:

Abaddon, Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

Oh and $10 MSRP on Master sets is ridiculous.  The value usually isn't there and they are made for drafting.  Make a Conspiracy Masters set for drafting, give us needed reprints in Master sets and a $5 MSRP.

With that said, I can't complain too much cause I'm part of the problem.  I bought boosters of Modern Masters and Eternal Masters (when the price bottomed, but still) so glass house, throwing stones ect.

MTGZuby likes this

1 minute ago, Lasraik said:

Oh and $10 MSRP on Master sets is ridiculous.  The value usually isn't there and they are made for drafting.  Make a Conspiracy Masters set for drafting, give us needed reprints in Master sets and a $5 MSRP

Right on!

(PS this in no way qualifies as an unpopular opinion)

2 minutes ago, rainman said:

Right on!

(PS this in no way qualifies as an unpopular opinion)

True, doesn't really qualify as unpopular

MTGZuby likes this

Wizards should allow proxies to be used at local stores for vintage and even legacy.  The cost of entry is insane.

Additionally, they should eliminate the reserve list and have at least one reprint set every year

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

14 hours ago, Abaddon said:

Wizards should allow proxies to be used at local stores for vintage and even legacy.  The cost of entry is insane.

Additionally, they should eliminate the reserve list and have at least one reprint set every year

So far we have a bunch of opinions that we all agree on

Obviously Wizards can't allow proxies in competitive events, that would undermine their whole business model. I think their should be some leeway for reserved list cards to be proxies at lower level REL events. Sometimes you just can't splash out for a full playset of Carnival of Souls

Or, yeah, just scrap the whole reserved list thing, let us all play paper vintage and legacy. That he, it would be hard to imagine even reprint power and other top end reserved list cards being cheaper than they are on MODO right now (Lotus is 80 fix, full P9 around 250-300) and getting Vintage daily events the 12 players they need to fire is still not guaranteed

Lasraik likes this

17 hours ago, Lasraik said:

It's quite an echo chamber they have created there honestly.

Another unpopular opinion?

WoTC should make actual reprint sets of cards needed and screw the secondary market. I know a lot of people make money off of it, but MTG is expensive enough.

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

Latest prices from Goldfish, power 9 233tix total on MODO. If people really want to play vintage, is probably not much more expensive than modern online. Maybe people just don't really want to play vintage

4 minutes ago, rainman said:

Latest prices from Goldfish, power 9 233tix total on MODO. If people really want to play vintage, is probably not much more expensive than modern online. Maybe people just don't really want to play vintage

That's still a lot of money. Ugh I'm always so torn because I want to play MTGO to play against better players and it's the official WoTC supported program but it's so expensive when it shouldn't be. 

Lasraik likes this

Not sure these are unpopular

1. I dislike the mythic rarity. It has led to some cards being awfully expensive and hard to get. More importantly, it has allowed WOTC to print some stupidly overpowered haymaker cards that they never would have years ago (Emrakul 1 and 2, Elesh Norn, etc). 
  2. I dislike the new Planeswalkers: both the card type and the characters. PW cards warp the game around them, and can be very hard to get rid of. I also dislike how WOTC is pushing the Jacetice League (moar members!) and their bland, one-dimension characters with as much personality as a rock. The old planeswalkers (Teferi, Urza, Freyalise) were far more interesting. Look, I know comic book movies are popular, but does MTG really need that? 
  3. I dislike the echo chamber, as mentioned above, and how WOTC favours a very small inner-circle of community creators: TCC, MTA, LRR. There are many other podcasts and channels that have put out casual content for years, and get ignored. 
  4. I think the new Commander products were a good idea, at first, but have gone sillier and sillier. Maybe EDH players like goofy, but the new Partner gimmick, plus Derevi and Oloro, shows that power balance seems to be low on the list of concerns for this product.
  5. Oh, and I also think normal 60-card casual is far better than EDH. EDH is a goofy format, and doesn't feel quite like REAL Magic to me. It feels like you stick a bunch of rares and mythics and/or combos in a deck and throw drunk haymakers at one another. 
  6. I think MTG is a better game when mana is hard: 4- colour decks should come at a steep price. 
  7. I also think the colour pie is what makes the game strong, and should be defended. If mana bases are easy, why bother having colours? There should be a distinct give/take with the resources you have.

19 hours ago, Abaddon said:

I know a lot of people here probably want the Reserve List to be trashed, but lots of people would lose their minds.  Hoarding a Black Lotus for years and suddenly it's worth $50 would lead to some salty tears.

4 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

It's quite an echo chamber they have created there honestly.

I hate to go full tinfoil hat but I don't think it's coincidence that they all align politically.  

download.jpg

MTGZuby and Koakka like this

5 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

That's still a lot of money. Ugh I'm always so torn because I want to play MTGO to play against better players and it's the official WoTC supported program but it's so expensive when it shouldn't be. 

Absolutely agree. On the other hand, there are regularly people saying "Get rid of the reserved list, make Legacy and Vintage affordable so we can play those formats" but, in an environment where most of the reserved list cards are much much more affordable, the uptake of those formats is still disappointing.

In part, I agree it's down problems with MODO in general, it is undoubtedly a substandard piece of software. Equally though, what percentage of the people who embrace/tolerate MODO and regularly play Standard, Modern or Limited there bother to take advantage of the more accessible Legacy and Vintage cards there? There's no way the power 9 would be less than $230 in paper if they got reprinted, so how many people would actually get into Vintage if that happened?

Don't bother getting rid of the reserved list, just take the duals off it and reprint them- ugly art, white border, whatever needs to happen to protect some of the value of the ABUR ones. At least let us afford Legacy

Lasraik likes this

I want to play MODO but I have zero faith in the software and that they know how to handle collections if they ever have to be migrated over to a new software

1 hour ago, Lasraik said:

I know a lot of people here probably want the Reserve List to be trashed, but lots of people would lose their minds.  Hoarding a Black Lotus for years and suddenly it's worth $50 would lead to some salty tears.

I hate to go full tinfoil hat but I don't think it's coincidence that they all align politically.  

download.jpg

That picture is me exactly when I am about to counter all the good stuff people are about to cast ! Seriously this pic made my day

Lasraik and JesGolbez like this

3 hours ago, Koakka said:

That picture is me exactly when I am about to counter all the good stuff people are about to cast ! Seriously this pic made my day

Damn blue players

JesGolbez and Koakka like this

Finally listened to your previous episode @MTGZuby (I'm behind on my podcast listening) and you read a comment that fetch lands should be abandoned.  I think the problem most people have with fetches isn't that they help you get multi-colored land bases but the prices and availability of fetches.

So if they would reprint sought after cards more often or print more of them then they would be easier to get and drive the prices down.  This kills two birds with one stone imho

MTGZuby and rainman like this

2 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Finally listened to your previous episode @MTGZuby (I'm behind on my podcast listening) and you read a comment that fetch lands should be abandoned.  I think the problem most people have with fetches isn't that they help you get multi-colored land bases but the prices and availability of fetches.

So if they would reprint sought after cards more often or print more of them then they would be easier to get and drive the prices down.  This kills two birds with one stone imho

Stop making sense!

Lasraik likes this

7 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Stop making sense!

#MakeReprintsGreatAgain

Thought of another one:

I really dislike videos like Boogie's on YouTube when he takes on his Francis alter ego and plays a raging table flipping MTG player.  I get that it's his shtick, but it perpetuates the stereotype that MTG players are socially inept raging idiots who act like children.  Sure, some are and we've all had our bad experiences but let's not normalize it or give people that don't play the game an impression that we're all morons.

It's not my kind of humor.

MTGZuby likes this