Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MTGZuby

Your MTG Unpopular Opinions

45 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Thought of another one:

I really dislike videos like Boogie's on YouTube when he takes on his Francis alter ego and plays a raging table flipping MTG player. I get that it's his shtick, but it perpetuates the stereotype that MTG players are socially inept raging idiots who act like children. Sure, some are and we've all had our bad experiences but let's not normalize it or give people that don't play the game an impression that we're all morons.

It's not my kind of humor.

Pssh posh, it's a character. I absolutely love that video, and it's a joke in one of my groups to grumble "What I am going to do? Block with the fucking dice?"

Francis, afaik, has done only 1 MTG video in that character. It's more of the stereotypical trope of the socially-inept obese geek dude.

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

19 minutes ago, JesGolbez said:

Pssh posh, it's a character. I absolutely love that video, and it's a joke in one of my groups to grumble "What I am going to do? Block with the fucking dice?"

Francis, afaik, has done only 1 MTG video in that character. It's more of the stereotypical trope of the socially-inept obese geek dude.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan.  Thought it would fit in this thread B)

rainman and MTGZuby like this

On 1/31/2017 at 6:02 PM, JesGolbez said:

Oh, and I also think normal 60-card casual is far better than EDH. EDH is a goofy format, and doesn't feel quite like REAL Magic to me. It feels like you stick a bunch of rares and mythics and/or combos in a deck and throw drunk haymakers at one another. 

I've never played either, but my impression so far is more in favour of Canadian Highlander over EDH

16 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Thought of another one:

I really dislike videos like Boogie's on YouTube when he takes on his Francis alter ego and plays a raging table flipping MTG player.  I get that it's his shtick, but it perpetuates the stereotype that MTG players are socially inept raging idiots who act like children.  Sure, some are and we've all had our bad experiences but let's not normalize it or give people that don't play the game an impression that we're all morons.

It's not my kind of humor.

I've come across those types of people as well. Seen people throw their decks or playmats or toss cards on the table. You can chalk it up to them needing to grow up but usually their is something else that is wrong and they are taking their frustration out, not that I'm defending that type of behavior. I can't stand it.

Lasraik likes this

20 minutes ago, Titcher said:

unpopular opinion - Garruk Apex predator is the best Planeswalker card around.

if it had been 2 mana cheaper it would have been broken.

Unpopular opinion- any planeswalker would be the best ever if it was 2 mana cheaper (exception, Tibalt, even at zero mana still terrible)

TheCandyMan likes this

1 hour ago, Titcher said:

unpopular opinion - Garruk Apex predator is the best Planeswalker card around.

if it had been 2 mana cheaper it would have been broken.

You know I've never really paid much attention to that card, but it's not bad.  In the right deck can be really strong

210.jpg

The "Destroy another target planeswalker" ability is one that needs to show up more often- getting planeswalkers off the board is a tad too difficult a lot of the time

Lasraik likes this

11 minutes ago, Titcher said:

the second modern deck I built was a ramp deathtouch deck that got garruk out on turn 4. Loved it.

Turn 4?  That sounds pretty sweet

On 1/31/2017 at 0:02 PM, JesGolbez said:

Not sure these are unpopular

2. I dislike the new Planeswalkers: both the card type and the characters. PW cards warp the game around them, and can be very hard to get rid of. I also dislike how WOTC is pushing the Jacetice League (moar members!) and their bland, one-dimension characters with as much personality as a rock. The old planeswalkers (Teferi, Urza, Freyalise) were far more interesting. Look, I know comic book movies are popular, but does MTG really need that? 

This.  I really get into the Magic story, but the writing is almost always terrible and the "characters" are two-dimensional.  I love planeswalker cards, but the "heroes" of Magic story are completely super lame.

Lasraik, JesGolbez, MTGZuby and 1 other like this

Not sure how unpopular this is, but the new trend of "shitposting" was funny for about a minute and now it's just tiring.  I remember the good old days when trolls were ridiculed and were considered the bad guys, now it's almost like people take pride in trolling everyone and getting a rise out of people just because.

JesGolbez likes this

2 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

Not sure how unpopular this is, but the new trend of "shitposting" was funny for about a minute and now it's just tiring.  I remember the good old days when trolls were ridiculed and were considered the bad guys, now it's almost like people take pride in trolling everyone and getting a rise out of people just because.

Isn't that more just modern Internet Assholery vs something specific to MTG? 

Whatever happened to acting like civilized people in public? Yes, I consider the Internet public. 

1 minute ago, Aurian said:

Isn't that more just modern Internet Assholery vs something specific to MTG? 

That's true, it just seems like it's become a trend lately I guess

Aurian likes this

The troll problem is made worst when the 99% of trolls see the 1% of trolls (MTGHQ, DesolatorMagic, ext) getting these huge amounts of attention and growth. this makes the rest thing they can do the same and so we get the shitpost fest alot of MTG is now.

On 3/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, Breakfast with Nerds said:

This.  I really get into the Magic story, but the writing is almost always terrible and the "characters" are two-dimensional.  I love planeswalker cards, but the "heroes" of Magic story are completely super lame.

Exactly. It's hard to really care about any of the Gatewatch because not only are they forced down our throat but there is really no reason, at least for me, to care about what happens to any of them.