Abaddon

Is uncommon really uncommon?

33 posts in this topic

Saw a video on YouTube from alpha investments discussing rarity, he talked about how uncommons aren't really the same. Cards like Fatal Push may have the symbol but it's not printed as much as other uncommons.  So we all think we will get more copies cause it's not rare or mythic but we really end up with cracking other less desirable uncommons. 

What say you?

Lasraik and MTGZuby like this

10 minutes ago, Abaddon said:

Saw a video on YouTube from alpha investments discussing rarity, he talked about how uncommons aren't really the same. Cards like Fatal Push may have the symbol but it's not printed as much as other uncommons.  So we all think we will get more copies cause it's not rare or mythic but we really end up with cracking other less desirable uncommons. 

What say you?

This wouldn't surprise me one bit if they did this. Though I must say in my experience with 2 boxes and a bundle I've cracked open 5 Fatal Pushes. Of course my experience is very limited overall.

Makes sense that they would do this (even though if they are printing it at rare quantities, just make it rare) cause it pushes packs.

I fully agree with this.  The joke from my prerelease was that I opened more masterpieces than I did copies of Fatal Push.  I have personally opened 40 packs of Aether Revolt (12 packs from 3 prerelease kits, 4 packs from 2 drafts, and 24 from prize packs).  I've opened 2 masterpieces and 0 copies of Fatal Push.  I've been told I can't complain because I still opened 2 masterpieces, but it is just really annoying to not have any copies of an uncommon.

Lasraik likes this

41 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

I fully agree with this.  The joke from my prerelease was that I opened more masterpieces than I did copies of Fatal Push.  I have personally opened 40 packs of Aether Revolt (12 packs from 3 prerelease kits, 4 packs from 2 drafts, and 24 from prize packs).  I've opened 2 masterpieces and 0 copies of Fatal Push.  I've been told I can't complain because I still opened 2 masterpieces, but it is just really annoying to not have any copies of an uncommon.

That is crazy.  You should have a couple play sets of Fatal Push before you get two Masterpieces.  Which ones did you pull?

I pulled Oblivion Stone and Sword of War and Peace.  If I stop being lazy and start editing my own videos instead of watching other people's videos, you'll get to hear my reaction to opening a masterpiece in a future episode of my In-Depth Limited Pack Opening series.

MTGandME and Lasraik like this

10 minutes ago, AlbyMTG said:

I pulled Oblivion Stone and Sword of War and Peace.  If I stop being lazy and start editing my own videos instead of watching other people's videos, you'll get to hear my reaction to opening a masterpiece in a future episode of my In-Depth Limited Pack Opening series.

It's too easy to start watching videos and before you know it an hour goes by.  Looking forward to seeing your open it on your video

We opened more Masterpieces AND more planeswalkers each than Fatal Pushes! 

Sometimes we open more of a crappy rare/mythic than we do of uncommons that we are looking forward to cracking. :( 

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

Yeah, it's easy to believe conspiracy theories, but I've often gotten more bulk/crap rares than I have of certain uncommons. Hell, I remember back in revised when I'd never open an uncommon Sol Ring or Serra Angel, but would get plenty of laces :(

Lasraik likes this

1 Display netted me 3 Fatal push and 1 masterpiece, but that box was insane, got 2 Ajanis, 1 Tezzeret and one foil Walking balista plus other mythics. My secret ? My wife opens everything I buy. Last month bought a pack of eldritch moon she opens a Liliana.

Lasraik and M4cr0Dutch like this

2 minutes ago, Koakka said:

1 Display netted me 3 Fatal push and 1 masterpiece, but that box was insane, got 2 Ajanis, 1 Tezzeret and one foil Walking balista plus other mythics. My secret ? My wife opens everything I buy. Last month bought a pack of eldritch moon she opens a Liliana.

I should get one of those

Lasraik and Koakka like this

26 minutes ago, Koakka said:

Man i noticed everytime she opened Hearthstone booster for her she would get good stuff , tried it with magic, I havent opened a pack since.

I need to start doing this. 

Koakka and Lasraik like this

On 1/30/2017 at 3:30 PM, Abaddon said:

What say you?

Watched the Alpha Investments video, he's entertaining but talks for 15-20 minutes on what should be a 5 minute video.  

I can totally believe this. I opened two boxes of Phyrexia plus three fat packs and numerous boosters, only to end up with 3 Dismember. My old group even noticed something about Avacyn (and I've noticed a little bit in Aether Revolt), that certain cards will ALWAYS show up in the first three cards you get, and only rarely will they deviate from this set. In Avacyn, my group had opened so much of that set, we could tell you the color of the land card you were going to get at the back based on the art work of the booster pack.  

Side note that doesn't really have to do with the completely true theory that uncommon isn't uncommon, is we used to weigh packs in the store, because if they had an extra foil card, the pack would have to weigh more. We had about 75% success rate with this method, till the scale broke. We definitely had issues with determining the "randomness" of boosters. 

Lasraik and Manticore like this

51 minutes ago, TAGVoar said:

I can totally believe this. I opened two boxes of Phyrexia plus three fat packs and numerous boosters, only to end up with 3 Dismember. My old group even noticed something about Avacyn (and I've noticed a little bit in Aether Revolt), that certain cards will ALWAYS show up in the first three cards you get, and only rarely will they deviate from this set. In Avacyn, my group had opened so much of that set, we could tell you the color of the land card you were going to get at the back based on the art work of the booster pack.  

Side note that doesn't really have to do with the completely true theory that uncommon isn't uncommon, is we used to weigh packs in the store, because if they had an extra foil card, the pack would have to weigh more. We had about 75% success rate with this method, till the scale broke. We definitely had issues with determining the "randomness" of boosters. 

lol that's pretty crazy.  How much of a difference would the weight be?

Koakka likes this

4 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I know people that do this it is pretty common. 

Lasraik likes this

6 hours ago, Koakka said:

I know people that do this it is pretty common. 

I'm behind the times.  So I'm guessing this works for Masterpieces?  Beware any LGS with open booster boxes selling single packs and who own a scale. :ph34r:

rainman and Koakka like this

On 1/31/2017 at 2:14 PM, Koakka said:

Same here dude, I cracked a half dozen packs of BFZ got nothing, wife cracks one gets a walker and a foil walker. In 1 year she has opened 7 walkers, I have opened 3 in my entire time playing MTG.

Lasraik, Koakka and rainman like this

5 hours ago, Lasraik said:

I'm behind the times.  So I'm guessing this works for Masterpieces?  Beware any LGS with open booster boxes selling single packs and who own a scale. :ph34r:

You need a very sensitive scale to tell Masterpieces from regular foils

Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, Real_Life_Dad said:

Same here dude, I cracked a half dozen packs of BFZ got nothing, wife cracks one gets a walker and a foil walker. In 1 year she has opened 7 walkers, I have opened 3 in my entire time playing MTG.

Obviously she is a very naturally skilled pack cracker and you should use her skills for good. 

Lasraik likes this

2 hours ago, rainman said:

You need a very sensitive scale to tell Masterpieces from regular foils

He used it for engineering, I think. It fit in his pocket. Though, knowing him, it might have been more illicit >.<

18 hours ago, Lasraik said:

it was tenth's of an ounce. Basically the weight of a card. The problem was with the foil and whatnot on the outside, it wasn't always perfect, and we usually just went off our gut anyway, basing it off of "well, the scale fluctuated a few extra times with this card, so let's try."

Lasraik likes this