Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pasanda

Alexa, Good morning

32 posts in this topic

I mentioned Alexa in an earlier post. Just wondering if anyone else was using it, and how it was going - any tips or advice.

Here's what we're doing:

I've connected it to the Energenie Mi|home system of controller and main-electric sockets. I'm using that to switch on the cabin lights.

We say good morning ans she gives us an interesting fact about each particular day.

We use Alexa now as the default radio playing device. Mostly because she's controllable with a few words. 

Fin LOVES to ask her to tell a joke.

We ask her the weather.

We play specific artists or styles of music. She plays a mean range of dub-reggae.

What do you do?

Edited by Pasanda
Lasraik likes this

I've avoided it because I think it's creepy listening in all the time and the end user has no control over what is uploaded for whatever nefarious marketing uses.  Yeah,  I don't have voice controlled anything enabled ... no smartphone, smart tv, wife, teenagers, etc.

Boag and Dunnar like this

1 hour ago, Elovia said:

I've avoided it because I think it's creepy listening in all the time and the end user has no control over what is uploaded for whatever nefarious marketing uses.  Yeah,  I don't have voice controlled anything enabled ... no smartphone, smart tv, wife, teenagers, etc.

Wife and teenagers?  

I thought about it.  I'm kind of with Elo ... and find it kind of creepy to have something listening in.  That is why I never left my Kinect plugged in.

I have dabbled in the dark arts, otherwise known as hacking.  So the security (or lack there of) of any wifi enabled/Bluetooth enabled device worries me.

However, if I could control my lights, I would probably get it.  But the specialized switches are expensive ($45).  I recently renovated my first floor, so all the lights and switches are new, LEDs on a dimmer ... which weren't cheap either.  So the math of it just doesn't work out for me ... yet.

13 hours ago, Lasraik said:

Wife and teenagers?  

They just ignore my voice commands ... and pretty much anything I say ...

Boag likes this

The vid wolf posted is fake, it is a custom spottily playlist they made.  We have a dot, and it gets used constantly.  There is a lot more music in the house, it is handy for weather updates, odd questions, jokes, but mostly music.  Although, if I have to listen to "what does the fox say?" one more time I might lose it.

14 hours ago, Elovia said:

Welcome to the future.  All of us are just marketing targets.

Not that it would bother me all that much (i naturally perform my evil deeds well out of alexa's earshot), but i had read that they had altered the programming such that it only listens out for the devices activation phrase.

24 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

Not that it would bother me all that much (i naturally perform my evil deeds well out of alexa's earshot), but i had read that they had altered the programming such that it only listens out for the devices activation phrase.

Of course that's what "THEY" tell you...

Forgot to mention that Fin use it to listen to his audiobooks. It links up to Audible, but I've only had the ones that were free. Still decent enough to have the Hobbit, David Walliams and the How to tame your Dragon series on it.

True or false?  Alexa can be triggered by overheard television commercials for the device.  "Actor in advertisement: Alexa, buy a dozen roses."

If you have that enabled, I suppose it could.  We have that turned off.  Last thing we need is for one of the kids to buy a batmobile...

Edited by Jag

4 hours ago, Elovia said:

True or false?  Alexa can be triggered by overheard television commercials for the device.  "Actor in advertisement: Alexa, buy a dozen roses."

If you are stupid enough to permit Alexa to spend your money with zero checks and balances involved, then that is Darwinism at its finest. 

5 hours ago, Jag said:

If you have that enabled, I suppose it could.  We have that turned off.  Last thing we need is for one of the kids to buy a batmobile...

33 minutes ago, Pasanda said:

If you are stupid enough to permit Alexa to spend your money with zero checks and balances involved, then that is Darwinism at its finest. 

You two missed the point.  It isn't about automatic purchases, it is whether an unintentional external source can activate the device using the trigger phrase "Alexa".  For example, imagine a burglar saying, "Alexa, unlock the door." should it be so enabled.  Or perhaps more commonly, a buddy says, "Alexa, volume 10" and then leaves it up to you to discover the next time you have the device play music.  The ultimate point of the question is ... what are the controls over activation after the trigger phrase is heard?

Edited by Elovia

You can add a pin if you want.  I am sure future generations will have it tuned to specific voices.  I can also see via the app on my phone everything it has been asked to do.

Edited by Jag

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:27 PM, Elovia said:

You two missed the point.  It isn't about automatic purchases, it is whether an unintentional external source can activate the device using the trigger phrase "Alexa".  For example, imagine a burglar saying, "Alexa, unlock the door." should it be so enabled.  Or perhaps more commonly, a buddy says, "Alexa, volume 10" and then leaves it up to you to discover the next time you have the device play music.  The ultimate point of the question is ... what are the controls over activation after the trigger phrase is heard?

Nah. I got it, but I don't think that is the main learning point here.

If I give my credit card details to my 7 year old son, I can't blame either my son or the store when he use it to buy stuff from the internet. It's totally my fault for being irresponsible. If I implement a technology that permits people to open my front door with a voice command, it's totally my fault for being that irresponsible. It's uncontrolled accessibility and it's hardly Amazons fault if we're too stupid to think it through properly.

Anyone can now shout through my letterbox and turn on the lights in the log cabin. But I don't give a shit, because that does no harm and it's alarmed. i.e. I have retained control of the important shit.

Edited by Pasanda

They all do it.  Google, netflix, amazon.  These guys did it without consent, like anyone really reads the EULA anyways.

I have a Visio TV .. but I bought it for size, not some shitty sub-par apps.  I refuse to allow it to connect through my home network.  Subsequently, we don't use the "smart" features.

How's it working out?  Anyone else doing this?

I am getting a new place and want to add this.  Thinking of doing a game room with a pool table, dart board and stuff.  Having a couple of TVs, couple of fire sticks and some smart bulbs and controlling everything via Alexa.

I don't think it's there yet Dun.  We have 3...one upstairs in one each in the kid's rooms.  They use it for music, books on tape, alarm, and we use it as an intercom.  In short, we use it a lot, but it gets old asking Alexa for everything and feels a bit clunky.  Has trouble hearing sometimes and the app can be a mess.  Even the 5-year-old has learned to use an angry voice so the bitch will respond.  I think it's just trolling us.  Wonder where it learned that?

Edited by Jag
Dunnar likes this