Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lasraik

[Video] Inside The Deck #159: The State of Modern

5 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind trying Modern if the mana bases weren't so bloody expensive. Between our 200-odd casual decks, I have the manabases, but still...

The Eldrazi menace doesn't seem to be slowing down, but I'd like to see WOTC give a bit more time and not Emergency ban anything just yet

And I agree that Modern is not a great PT format... for one thing, there are too many uninteractive matches...for another, the metagame is quite narrow and inbred. The World Champs was just a big bore (Affinity and Twin and Bloom ignoring each other)

Lasraik likes this

Game 1 most serious competitive Modern matches are just a race to the finish line- which of the two players can do their broken thing first? Game 2 and 3 it's a race to the sideboard hate

Modern is much better suited to less serious play- a large, non-rotating format with most cards fairly recently printed and easily available so there's a lot of flexibility for players to build their pet deck and stick with it. Shame some of the prices are so out of control, but as the whole format is post-reserved list Wizards do have some ability to manipulate that with reprints and modern masters sets. Maybe they need to be less conservative with the printing of those sets in future.

They should just bite the bullet, scrap the Modern PT but commit long term to a certain number of GP level events per year to show support for the format but avoid the need to interfere so much with it, using the B+R announcements as pseudo-rotation. Since the PT is at heart a marketing device it makes sense that they need to showcase new product and I have no objection to those events being some combination of limited, standard, even block constructed if they want to bring that back. There would be some backlash from the community like last time, but not that many high level players want a modern PT and the vast majority of dedicated modern players would get over it and carry on playing modern happily at lower level tournaments. It might even help bring the secondary market prices down, perhaps I'm dreaming

JesGolbez and Lasraik like this

You said it much better than I did :)

Modern is obviously quite popular, but WOTC seems reluctant to really flood the market with Modern staples... even with the MMA and Eternal Masters, it's still a trickle.

Lasraik likes this

You said it much better than I did :)

Modern is obviously quite popular, but WOTC seems reluctant to really flood the market with Modern staples... even with the MMA and Eternal Masters, it's still a trickle.

Ever since they destroyed the value of most players' collections with chronicles, Wizards have been careful to avoid a repeat. If their aims in making modern masters sets genuinely include keeping prices down and make the format staples more accessible to newer players, then they must have learned by now that the size of print runs hasn't been big enough for the two sets released so far and it's safe to run the printing presses a bit longer next time