Lasraik

MTG 'Community' on Twitter is anything but

48 posts in this topic

I've never been a big fan of Twitter.  It's mostly random useless thoughts by people who think everyone cares about how their day is going or what they are thinking at any given moment.  Started using Twitter when I started this site, using it to help spread the word and after I gained some followers and friends, I started focusing on spreading the word for their content.

Now when I check Twitter 95% of what I see is negativity.  It's either people complaining about politics, or people complaining about other MTG personalities.  It almost makes me uncomfortable cause it's so toxic.  If I didn't play MTG or had no idea about the game or it's personalities I would think all people who play are insane.  

Is it just me, or is the MTG 'community' on Twitter mostly awful?

Manticore and Koakka like this

Totally agree  being  a new player I've had to shift though all the crap to find the best community, some good some bad,  I have stopped following 4 or 5 guys on twitter do to personal rants they have against rules or political,  I started playing to have fun not feel like i joined some political party,  personally your beliefs are your and mine are mine leave them at the door.  And just have some fun! 

Manticore, Abaddon and Lasraik like this

42 minutes ago, Zer0NRG said:

Totally agree  being  a new player I've had to shift though all the crap to find the best community, some good some bad,  I have stopped following 4 or 5 guys on twitter do to personal rants they have against rules or political,  I started playing to have fun not feel like i joined some political party,  personally your beliefs are your and mine are mine leave them at the door.  And just have some fun! 

Even people I've talked to outside of Twitter who are perfectly normal and level headed get on Twitter, it's like a flip switches and they turn into raging maniacs.

I agree let's have fun!  I play this game as an escape 

Abaddon and Zer0NRG like this

There are those who use Twitter like normal people, just unfollow people whose tweets you dislike. And give me your twitter handle so i can tweet you about my day and religious beliefs please. :ph34r: joking but seriously give it so i can follow you. @Lasraik or anyone that wants to give out the handle.

Abaddon and Lasraik like this

Yes this weekend has been particularly bad on twitter with Trump doing trump things and the massive argument in MTG about Women/Transgender's lack of numbers on the pro tour and the team event. Which quite frankly got rather out of hand. Especially with certain people enjoy being SJW or Shitlords or whatever they are and making it worse. Never understood that about the internet.

All I want to do is connect to my subscribers, try to find more while talking cube, mtg and everything else with fellow players. I know I won't make everyone happy, but at the same time I'd rather make sure I treat people the way I want to be treated. (Can thank my mum for that) Thankfully most of the people I follow are back to talking MTG again which makes for a much calmer twitter feed!

Manticore, Lasraik, Zer0NRG and 2 others like this

6 hours ago, Koakka said:

There are those who use Twitter like normal people, just unfollow people whose tweets you dislike. And give me your twitter handle so i can tweet you about my day and religious beliefs please. :ph34r: joking but seriously give it so i can follow you. @Lasraik or anyone that wants to give out the handle.

It's @KitchenTableMTG :) 

Twitter is just an awful format, honestly, and I use it less and less. I used to use it mainly for arguing, getting random news tidbits, and communicating with a few hockey/Magic people, but find it less useful as time goes on. 

140 characters, and lack of good threading, makes it impossible to have a reasonable, well-thought out conversation. It's also chock-filled with so much noise... and, yeah, it's also SJW hotbed central, and run by the Fun-Thought Police. 

I all but hide from the MTG "community" on Twitter. I have maybe 50 MTG people I follow, and 5-6 I read their tweets / interact with them. The rest has become so toxic due to WOTC making their political stance known. 

I have no problem with what side of the political spectrum people follow, I do have a problem when a publicly traded company makes their political stance know, and punishes content creators who buck their views*. If WOTC/HASBRO was a privately owned company then it would be a different story but as a publicly traded company I find it in bad taste (I feel this way about any publicly traded company who does this).

This has led to it being SJWs VS Shitlords VS Moderates VS *inser term here*. 

* note: I do not support MTGHQ but he shouldn't be treated by WOTC the way he has been, yes at this point he brings it on himself but i started over politics and never should have.

1 hour ago, Real_Life_Dad said:

* note: I do not support MTGHQ but he shouldn't be treated by WOTC the way he has been, yes at this point he brings it on himself but i started over politics and never should have.

I was kind of surprised when he released a video commenting on the latest "Women in Magic" thing that blew up over the PT team lists and Mrs Mulligan's video response. He didn't say anything overly controversial compared to previous opinions he's shared on the subject, but you have to respect the guy for sticking to his beliefs and not letting the negative repsonses from Wizards and some sections of the community silence him at least

39 minutes ago, rainman said:

I was kind of surprised when he released a video commenting on the latest "Women in Magic" thing that blew up over the PT team lists and Mrs Mulligan's video response. He didn't say anything overly controversial compared to previous opinions he's shared on the subject, but you have to respect the guy for sticking to his beliefs and not letting the negative responses from Wizards and some sections of the community silence him at least

The problem is he has admitted several times in the past that he only partial believes his own rhetoric and most of the stuff he does and says is for the lulz/attention.

2 hours ago, rainman said:

Also, for anyone needing to let off some steam- for political or non-political reasons, but ideally the former- I highly recommend a visit to trumpdonald.org

Not sure how a lame Flash site really lets you let off steam, but I suppose it's better than rioting like what happened at Berkeley :P

MtgHeadquarters is an alt-right asshole, and not the good kind of asshole (me!). He might be right on certain SJW-related issues, but a broken clock is right  twice a day. He's burned enough bridges. 

Manticore likes this

6 hours ago, rainman said:

I was kind of surprised when he released a video commenting on the latest "Women in Magic" thing that blew up over the PT team lists and Mrs Mulligan's video response. He didn't say anything overly controversial compared to previous opinions he's shared on the subject, but you have to respect the guy for sticking to his beliefs and not letting the negative repsonses from Wizards and some sections of the community silence him at least

He does know how to get  rise out of people, and it's like shooting fish in barrel.  I thought his latest comment that got him in hot water was pretty tame, but it doesn't take much for triggering to take place.

49 minutes ago, Lasraik said:

He does know how to get  rise out of people, and it's like shooting fish in barrel.  I thought his latest comment that got him in hot water was pretty tame, but it doesn't take much for triggering to take place.

I dont get those people.. if you a mtg content creator but you adress other subjects like politics or whatever other thing is, then you are off target. Why would I want to hear anything other than wizard poker out of their mouths ? Screw politics and genders we are all watching their videos for one reason only and thats wizard solitaire. Im tired off the same drama over and over on youtube who gives a shit anyway.

Manticore likes this

i avoid twitter cause of all the nonsense that goes on there.  most of it seems to be a few youtubers taking their angry attack mobs and directing them at people.  thankfully there are other places to talk wizard poker lol

Some days I ask myself what am I doing on Twitter still? The MTG community on Twitter are a strange bunch. Majority of them barely talk MTG.

Lasraik likes this

3 hours ago, MTGZuby said:

Some days I ask myself what am I doing on Twitter still? The MTG community on Twitter are a strange bunch. Majority of them barely talk MTG.

I wonder that, too.  I jump on to check a select few users, make a couple tweets/RTs for the site and it's members and close the app.  

It would be nice if the MTG community could focus on the game and set aside the identity politics and hunting for opportunities to become offended. Playing against someone in a game of Magic, their identity is either 'fellow Magic player' or 'fellow Magic player who is also an asshole', nothing else really matters

14 hours ago, rainman said:

It would be nice if the MTG community could focus on the game and set aside the identity politics and hunting for opportunities to become offended. Playing against someone in a game of Magic, their identity is either 'fellow Magic player' or 'fellow Magic player who is also an asshole', nothing else really matters

At a certain point ego gets in the way.  Sounds silly cause we're talking about MTG players but subscribers, views and constant praise gets to peoples heads.

MTGHQ is the master troll, but since everyone is banning him on Twitter he's running out of people to... well... troll.

On 2/4/2017 at 10:15 AM, Lasraik said:

At a certain point ego gets in the way.  Sounds silly cause we're talking about MTG players but subscribers, views and constant praise gets to peoples heads.

MTGHQ is the master troll, but since everyone is banning him on Twitter he's running out of people to... well... troll.

Oh jeez MTGHQ lol. Who offended him this week? How is WoTC censoring him now? Stay tuned to his Twitter timeline!

16 minutes ago, MTGZuby said:

Oh jeez MTGHQ lol. Who offended him this week? How is WoTC censoring him now? Stay tuned to his Twitter timeline!

I follow him for a laugh these days. He could do so much good with that level of subscriber base which is the ultimate shame

Part of the reason I started my channel was because I was sick of everyone making it about THEM.   Their issues, their views, and nothing about MTG.

Although I do plan to show my face on camera eventually, this is part of the reason I am not in my videos as of now.  My channel is about Magic cards.  Not politics. not my personal life.  If people want to know more about me they will ask and I'll be glad to answer :)

I don't think twitter as a whole is the problem, but there are definitely tons of cancerous politicized MTG twitters that I try to take no part of.  The best thing we can do is ignore them and keep building up our own community of like minded MAGIC fans.

38 minutes ago, CardZoom said:

Part of the reason I started my channel was because I was sick of everyone making it about THEM.   Their issues, their views, and nothing about MTG.

Although I do plan to show my face on camera eventually, this is part of the reason I am not in my videos as of now.  My channel is about Magic cards.  Not politics. not my personal life.  If people want to know more about me they will ask and I'll be glad to answer :)

I don't think twitter as a whole is the problem, but there are definitely tons of cancerous politicized MTG twitters that I try to take no part of.  The best thing we can do is ignore them and keep building up our own community of like minded MAGIC fans.

I've shown my face, but only when posting content that was live streamed on Twitch first since i use my face cam on there. I do agree that alot of the larger channels that are MTG related have turned more towards the creators with MTG being the side content. There is one channel in particular that is a massive example of "It's about me, MTG is just my justification to get people to pay attention to me while I rant and spew drama inducing garbage."

Lasraik likes this

5 minutes ago, Real_Life_Dad said:

I've shown my face, but only when posting content that was live streamed on Twitch first since i use my face cam on there. I do agree that alot of the larger channels that are MTG related have turned more towards the creators with MTG being the side content. There is one channel in particular that is a massive example of "It's about me, MTG is just my justification to get people to pay attention to me while I rant and spew drama inducing garbage."

Only the one channel?!? I can think of at least 3

rainman, Lasraik and CardZoom like this